This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Happy Spring Semester Cougs!!

With a new semester comes new classes and new faces. We have begun yet another cycle of figuring out who sits where in class. Even though there are no assigned seats in college, everyone seems to pick a seat the first week and roll with it for the rest of the semester. With that in mind, pick someone you wouldn’t mind working with in the future and try to get to know them outside of class. 

The topic of friendship can be tricky, especially in college. It can be hard to make new friends, especially if you are too busy for clubs, are an out-of-state student, or tend to be more reserved than others. When struggling to find the right friend group, it is okay not to like the first one you find yourself in. 

College is about experimentation, and we have plenty of time to meet people. The key is to be yourself and know when to put yourself first. This past year, I have learned to say no when I am not 100% into doing something. If people want to go out but I would rather stay in to catch up on sleep or watch a movie, then I stay in. Freshman me would have gone out regardless of my feelings, just to try to be somebody she wasn’t. 

Finding friends who are truly interested in your life is far more important than those you know on the surface level. Yes, having many friends can be fun, but how many are truly rooting for you? How many ask about your grades? Your mental health? Your family?

Finding genuine friendships can be hard, but once you have them, they are hard to let go of. Instead of going out one weekend, plan a movie night and see who decides to come; see who decides to show up when life gets tough. I can guarantee that having two or three close friends is better than having twenty people who you’ve only known on the surface level. 

I am a sophomore at the College of Charleston planning on majoring in Communication and minoring in Spanish. In my free time, I enjoy reading and going on long walks.