Memorable Speeches from the 2015 Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

This year’s Oscars turned out to be one of the most emotionally moving and politically charged awards shows of the season.

Just in case you missed it, here’s a list of the most important speeches from the event. (We couldn’t include all of them, of course, and if there’s one you liked and don’t see here let us know in the comments so others can find it!)

John Legend and Common

Quote: “The struggle for justice is right now.”

This dynamic duo left an entire audience in awe and support of John Legend’s vocal range and the modern civil rights movement. Legend and Common won Best Original Song for their song “Glory,” featured in the movie Selma. Surpisingly, the Academy didn’t give the movie any other awards, but the artists didn’t waste the spotlight. Both John Legend and Common spoke passionately about voting rights and incarceration, urging everyone to “march on” towards racial equality in America. 

Patricia Arquette

Quote: “It’s time to have wage equality once and for all and equal rights for women in the United States of America.”

Patricia Arquette’s speech continues to receive mixed feedback from viewers.  She took the stage to accept her award for Best Supporting Actress, and seized the opportunity to champion women’s rights – particularly wage equality. Many people fear she disenfranchised other groups, however, in her post-Oscars interview. She stated that it’s time for “all the gay people, and all the people of color that we’ve all fought for to fight for us now,” causing division among critics and viewers alike (for more info go here, and here). But her speech got people talking, and that’s an undoubtedly positive effect. Her controversial comments encourage friendly debate and education on a variety of social issues relating to her speech.  

Dana Perry and Ellen Goonsberg Kent

Quote: “We should talk about suicide out loud.”

These incredible ladies became the first Oscar winners of the night to speak about suicide when they accepted their award for Best Documentary Short. Dana Perry dedicated her award to her son, Evan, whom she lost to suicide. She acknowledged that suicide often gets blacklisted with other taboo or uncomfortable topics, despite the fact it is a very real and very relevant issue to so many people. Perry made a bold statement and show of support for anyone who has ever considered or lost a loved one to suicide. 

Graham Moore

Quote: “Stay weird. Stay different.”

Graham Moore got personal during his acceptance speech for Best Adapted Screenplay at this year’s Oscars. He referenced his attempted suicide at 16, and asked everyone to embrace their own weirdness and encourage others to do the same. Graham, along with Dana Perry and Ellen Goonsberg Kent, carried this issue throughout the night, speaking about the issue of suicide, especially among teens. There’s no telling how many viewers benefited from hearing Graham Moore’s message. 

Julianne Moore

Quote: “People with Alzheimer’s disease deserve to be seen.”

Julianne Moore portrayed a woman experiencing the stages of Alzheimer’s in the movie “Still Alice,” for which she won Best Actress. Her speech focused on the way the media and general population can easily overlook Alzheimer’s. She pointed out that this disease affects millions of Americans, and deserves more attention than it gets. 

Eddie Redmayne

Quote: “This Oscar, this belongs to all of the people around the world battling ALS.”

Eddie Redmayne also used his acceptance speech to bring awareness to a terrible disease and the people who fight it. Redmayne won Best Actor for his portrayal of the internationally renowned Stephen Hawking and his battle with ALS. Eddie Redmayne dedicated his award to everyone struggling with this illness, particularly Stephen Hawking and his family. Hawking later wrote on Eddie’s facebook wall thanking him for the message. Their friendship is quite inspiring (and adorable)!

Alejandro González Iñárritu

Quote: “Our work only will be judged, as always, by time.”

Iñárritu closed out the night (and this article) with a moving acceptance speech for the coveted award of Best Picture, given to his film Birdman. His mainly focused on ego and competition in the art realm. He acknowledged the honor of winning such a prestigious award, but emphasized that art cannot be compared or labeled, it can only be judged by its legacy – by time. He gave a beautiful and humble acceptance speech, one that captures the purpose of making true art. 

Cait Cox is a sophomore at the College of Charleston studying Political Science, Art History, and the delicate art of speed napping. In her free time you can find her performing slam poetry, shopping at Community Thrift, or pursuing one of her many artistic hobbies which include writing, photography, drawing, and making Easy Mac. She is super excited to be writing for HerCampus, and hopes you have a majestic day.