Local Opportunities to Make A Difference This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays since it incorporates all of my favorite things: spending time with family, eating mac-and-cheese, and holiday shopping. 

Growing up, my parents always made sure my siblings and I knew how lucky we were to be able to celebrate the holiday with food in our bellies and a roof over our heads. I’m grateful they taught me to always remain mindful of the holiday’s true meaning amidst the turkey-themed festivities – to give thanks. 

In middle school, I began volunteering through different non-profit organizations in my area that hosted Thanksgiving events or offered services to those in need. Over the years, I collected can goods, packaged meals, or served dinner plates to those who wouldn’t have had a Thanksgiving otherwise. There is really no better feeling than knowing that you are making a difference in someone’s life.

If you are in the Charleston area around the holiday this year and have a few hours to spare or still want to make a difference, here are some opportunities to make sure everyone in your community has a memorable Thanksgiving.

Charleston Basket Brigade

Charleston Basket Brigade is meeting at 7 am on Tuesday, November 26th at the North Charleston Coliseum Exhibit Hall C to assemble Thanksgiving meals for those in the community who may not be fortunate enough to cook a dinner of their own. 

This event has opportunities for volunteers to fundraise, assemble and/or deliver meals. Head over to http://charlestonbasketbrigade.com/volunteer-your-time/ to get involved!

Turkey and a $20

One80 Place is a local organization hosting an annual event called Turkey and a $20, where members of the community can donate just that.

One80 Place understands how busy the holiday can get, so they’re collecting “drive-thru” donations in the form of a turkey and $20 on Tuesday, November 26th. Turkeys are to be cooked in the orgnaization’s Community Kitchen, and monetary donations will provide shelter, three meals a day, re-housing services, legal aide and an on-site health clinic for those in need. 

Find out more at https://one80place.org/donate-turkey/

Turkey Day Run & Gobble Wobble 5k

If you’re one of those people who ‘like’ to run, you’ve probably heard of the Turkey Day Run & Gobble Wobble 5k in Downtown Charleston. 

Those interested in volunteering at the 42nd annual run can find out more info or sign up at https://www.turkeydayrun.com/get-involved/become-a-volunteer/

Lowcountry Food Bank

Visit lowcountryfoodbank.org to check out their schedule of events and programs in search of volunteers!

The food bank also accepts online donations that will provide holiday meals for families in your community.  

The holidays can be a busy time for everyone, so helping out in even the smallest ways can make a huge difference in the life of someone who needs it. What better way to celebrate all you have to be thankful for than spreading the holiday spirit within your community? No act of kindness goes unnoticed, and trust me, it’ll make that turkey taste even better.

Happy Thanksgiving :)

Beach Lover. Online Shopping Guru. Bulldog Enthusiast. Do good & be well.