Liza Chappell ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Liza is sporting a Theta pride tee shirt and a braided side ponytail as she sips on a glass of water after a long day of dance class, rehearsals, schoolwork, and sorority meetings. A day in the life of a CofC princess is not all glamour and fun for this hardworking young lady. As we talk, Liza is playing with the flower petals from the bouquet she was given when she received her title as CofC’s homecoming court princess. Liza’s energy is upbeat and positive, even after a hard day’s work. 

Liza Chappell

Hometown: Columbia, South Carolina

Major/Minor: Double Major in Hospitality/Tourism and Business Administration, Minor in Dance 

Year of Graduation: 2014

What do you like to do for fun here at CofC?

– I love to dance here at the College of Charleston. I’m actively involved in the Dance Alliance as treasurer, and I’m also a member of the Kappa Alpha Theta fraternity. On the weekends, I enjoy hanging out with friends. When the weather gets nice, I love going out on the water on my friend’s boat. 

How did you get involved in running for a position on the CofC homecoming court?

– My fraternity, Kappa Alpha Theta, nominated me for the position of homecoming princess. Of course, I jumped on the opportunity to represent my fraternity. I also thought running for homecoming court would help me get exposed to other organizations on campus.

Can you tell me a little bit about what the process of running for homecoming court was like?

– Well, I had to attend several different meetings and events leading up to the actual homecoming game. In the meetings we discussed the crowning process. The events consisted of things such as basketball games prior to the homecoming game, and various homecoming week activities. There were roughly about 15-20 girls in the running for CofC homecoming princess. 

Had you ever ran for a position or been elected as winner on a homecoming court before CofC?

– I was nominated for homecoming court as a senior in high school and received second runner up out of about 10 girls. It was a fun experience and I met a lot of new and interesting girls in the process. 

What was your most memorable moment in the entire homecoming court process?

– My most memorable moment in the entire homecoming court process was having my parents come down for the crowning. It really meant a lot to me.  I not only have an excellent support system at school, but at home in Columbia with my parents and siblings as well.

How did it feel to receive your title as CofC’s homecoming court princess?

– I felt very honored to have so many great friends and supporters who voted for me. It means a lot to know that I had that many people backing me up in the whole homecoming court process. 

What advice would you give to other CofC ladies who might want to run for homecoming court in the future?

– Have your friends publicize the event and get your name out there. Don’t be afraid to go out and meet new people. Your classmates want a representative who is friendly and outgoing- go out and make yourself heard! 

Originally from West Virginia, Tori Williams is a senior at the College of Charleston in South Carolina majoring in Communication, and minoring in International Studies and Dance. Tori is currently the editor-in-chief and a featured writer for the Her Campus CofC chapter, as well as an editorial intern with Charleston Magazine. She also dances with Dance FX Charleston's performance company and through the College of Charleston. When she's not busy, Tori loves to read, run, and do hot yoga. She hopes to someday be an editor and writer for a big time magazine.
Camilla States is a member of the class of 2015 at The College of Charleston.  She hails from the seaside town of Gloucester, Massachusetts, where she enjoys spending her summers on both land and sea.  A Communications major also pursuing a minor in Political Science, Camilla aspires for a future career in broadcast or print journalism. She is also studying Modern Standard Arabic, with hopes of one day becoming proficient in the language. From a young age, Camilla has held a fascination for world geography and foreign cultures.  She hopes to someday traverse the world, from New England to New Zealand and everywhere in between.