This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

When Kacey Musgraves’s angelic voice blasts through my stereo in my Nissan Kicks, I can’t help but smile. I discovered her music in the summer of 2021 and, ever since then, I have not been able to stop listening. If you know me, I can never stop talking about her. Ever. 

Kacey Musgraves is a country and pop singer. She has topped the charts with her albums Golden Hour and Star Crossed. Miss Musgraves drew me into an obsession with her music due to her vast range of music styles. Her Texas roots influenced her country songs. Now, she has grown into a pop music voice, but she still incorporates elements from country music. From Blowin Smoke to Breadwinner, you must have heard Kacey Musgraves once in your life. So here is a list of Kacey Musgrave lyrics that have changed my life.

1. First, of course, is Follow Your Arrow, from her 2013 album Same Trailer Different Park. The lyrics, “Make lots of noise. Kiss lots of boys. Or kiss lots of girls. If that’s something you’re into.” I belt this lyric without control every time this song plays. I have struggled with questioning my sexuality recently. I’ve had a hard time accepting the idea of being bisexual. This one lyric has taught me to follow my own arrow and showed me that it’s okay if I desire to be with both genders. The song is a celebration of who everyone is as an individual. Kacey nailed it right on the head and has made me experience so much pride and joy within this three-minute song.
  2. Keep Looking Up from Kacey’s new album Star Crossed is an example of her flexibility. It’s an inspirational song about being positive and maintaining hope in dark situations. “Keep your head in the clouds and keep your feet on the ground.” The message of this song is that shit happens. Sometimes it’s hard to be positive when storm clouds are surrounding you, and there seems to be no way out. But one thing we all can do is Keep Looking Up. Kacey showed me that I need to see the light at the end of the tunnel and stay grounded. 
  3. Butterflies, the third song down, on Kacey’s pop album Golden Hour is magical from every note. This song holds so much beauty and power. From the first note, you will go on a journey. This song is so special to me that I’ve considered getting a tattoo for it. Butterflies, although clique, represent to me that everyone is incomplete. We are in our cocoon phase and, at some point, we will emerge into a gorgeous colorful butterfly. “Lifting me up instead of holding me down. Stealing my heart instead of stealing my crown. Untangled all my strings around my wings that were tied.” Musgraves wrote this song about her now ex-husband. She emphasizes being with someone who loves you for who you are. Someone who doesn’t bring you down but helps you reach your highest potential. It reminds me to not settle for less. And to find that person that lifts me up like a butterfly.
  4. Pageant Material is my favorite song that Kacey released during her country era. “I ain’t exactly Miss. Congenial. I talk before I think. I try to fake it but I can’t. I’d rather lose with what I am than win for what I ain’t.” This spunky country song is relatable to many. Kacey sings of not being “pageant material”. Her mother forced her into the pageant world when she was a child. Standing in front of a crowd and being judged for her looks was not something that Kacey was a fan of. This song resonates with me because I hate being fake. I hate being anything besides my true authentic self. In pageants, girls get dressed up all pretty and get coached to talk respectably and professionally. The lyrics are so relatable because Kacey would rather lose a pageant than pretend to be anything that she isn’t.
  5. Step Off is a work of art. Also, from her Same Trailer Different Park album, Kacey sings with a punch in this song. “Don’t wreck my reputation. Let me wreck my own. Step off. Step off. Yeah, you’re getting too close to me with all your negativity.” People are always going to come to you with negativity and people are always going to try to bring you down. With this song, Kacey essentials tells them to fuck off. The only person who is going to ruin her reputation is herself. That is a motto that I want to live by. Don’t let anybody tear you down. All hail Miss. Musgraves. 
Hey, I'm Jessie and I'm a Creative Writing Major at the College of Charleston. I'm a junior from the amazing DC area and I love traveling, the outdoors, music, and coffee. I'm a book fiend, literally it's a problem, and in my free time you can find me with my nose in any book I can get my hands on. Or at Buxton Books in Downtown Charleston where I'm employed. Writing is my passion and I love writing dark angry poetry and fun short stories.