This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

I will not be the first to tell you, but it is a universal truth that breakups suck. They really really suck. Like worse than CW reboot sucks. Chances are that you will probably be on the receiving end of a breakup at least once in your lifetime and you will probably feel like the entire universe is against you and for some reason some unseen higher power has it out for you. I have recently experienced my first college breakup, and my first major one at that. I was with someone for a few months who I really loved, and I thought loved me. Every day gets a little easier but sometimes I wake up feeling like the soul has been sucked out of me and that the world is a cruel place. So yeah, breakups suck, but here are a few ways to make them try and suck less.

Get rid of everything that reminds you of the relationship

This is gonna be hard, and you will probably be filled with a bunch of emotions and memories that make you sad all over again, but it has to be done sooner than later. It is best to try and clear your mind (and your space) of the relationship so you can start moving on. So delete those photos on your phone, private some Instagram posts of you together, and file away all the stuff from them into a box and push it to the back of your closet. In the end, you may feel a little empty but you will feel more level-headed and clear.

validate your feelings

It’s okay to be sad. It’s normal, you just lost someone you probably cared for deeply and now it seems your whole life has been thrown off-kilter. Take stock of your emotions and know that whatever you are feeling is okay, from anger to a sense of happiness. Don’t beat yourself up about how you are feeling, even if your emotions seem to change daily. Also don’t feel bad if weeks or even months later you get hit with a bout of sadness, it takes time to move on.

do something for you

For the first few days (or weeks) after a breakup, there is a possibility that all you want to do is lay in bed and wallow in pity. While that is okay every once in a while, try and push yourself to get up and do something you enjoy. From watching a funny movie to going to go get your nails done, do something that makes you feel good.

spend time with loved ones

Know that good friends and family will have your back. Try and reach out to those you love or accept their invites. Spending time with people who lift you up will cheer your spirits and make you feel less alone. While with your loved ones try focusing on the moment and how much you enjoy being surrounded by those you love and love you.

get some closure

Every book needs an ending. Even if you can’t talk to the person you were in a relationship with directly, try writing them a letter about your feelings, you don’t have to even send it, just get all your thoughts down. Take those old pictures and boxes of clothes you have been holding onto and throw them out. It’s time to move on, which is the hardest part but ultimately the best thing you can do.

College of Charleston Class of 2026. Communications Major and Creative Writing Minor. Feminist and LGBTQ+ Activist. Lover of Musicals, Old Bookstores, and Cheesy Horror Movies.