This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

As my freshman year of college is coming to a close, one of the most evident elements of the experience of moving halfway across the country, living in a dorm, and living by myself for the first time was how I was surrounded by my friends 24/7. With roommates as your best friends, and friends that live right down the hall, you find yourself always hanging out with your friends; because why not do everything together? TBH, I’m so grateful that I’ve found people to enjoy my college life with, but as I prepare to go home for the summer and we disperse across the country, I realize how much more I am going to be by myself.

Although everyone has their family and their friends in a small radius at home, you’re not waking up to your roommate anymore. You wash your face alone, the small tasks that format our day-to-day are going to be completely altered. This proposes the question; are you alone, or hanging out with yourself? 

In college, especially as a freshman, you find yourself with little alone time. Think about it; are you normally in the room when your roommate or suitemates aren’t there? Doesn’t it change the dynamic? Although your roommate can make or break your college experience, the prominence of social interaction is evident. 

As I pondered the fact that I have to drive to see my friends rather than walk through the bathroom, I realized how I could either look at that as being alone or hanging out with myself. Rather than inflicting depression and anxiety adjusting, one can make it an opportunity to connect with themself. Being aware of your mental health is most important to enjoy your day-to-day life; if you know what inflicts sadness and angst, you can learn how to be aware of it and make new routines. 

HRVmt0zP6V3aHD7618KY sOwFC2onwoPqcTSEtroPeL5a5 o7AE yhmtOg6zYbYwlAmWdQs79gWA6U56MjOEcBGxcHCD8jCI0NJmoa72voeepx

Although I’m going to miss washing my face with my friends every morning and planning the day, I can make that a moment of peace before I start my day. Try to play music or watch your favorite show and make a new routine. In order to adjust to change and moving, you have to adjust your ways. 

In the same way that college is just four years of your life, it’s also your only home for a short period of time. Regardless, many people struggle with being alone; alone with their thoughts, and alone with themselves. Social interaction acts like a distraction, in a way one can use this opportunity to connect with themselves. Life is all about making choices; although it most definitely is easier said than done, if one analyzes and prepares themselves, one can use this as an opportunity.

Elizabeth is a sophomore at the College of Charleston from Long Island, New York, with a major in Business Administration and a minor in writing, rhetoric, and publication. Elizabeth currently serves as the Vice President & Director of Marketing, Publicity, and Social Media for HC at COFC. In addition to being involved in many campus organizations such as the Delta Gamma Sorority's Director of Apparel, The Director of Public Relations for the Order of Omega Honor Society, and member of the American Marketing Association at COFC, the sustainable fashion club, and COFC's Finance Club.