A Guide to Mixing Prints

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

One of the reasons many people come to the College of Charleston is to escape the bitter nine month winter that that is the North. However, as we say hello to the first hints of 40 degree weather, the time has finally come for us to bid adieu to impromptu beach trips in October and 68 degree days in November. The cold is finally coming and, with it, my least favorite season: winter. Of course I am praying for a white Christmas, and what is New Years Eve without sequins, tights, and a fabulous peacoat? But once the holidays are over the cravings for heat recommence. However, there is one perk of winter that lasts all throughout the cold months, and that is layering. As someone who often likes to pretend it is not nearly as cold as it is for the sake of fashion, I do not own a real winter coat. Instead I layer vests, oversized sweaters, and scarves in place of a puffer coat. I have a worn out pleather jacket that, at most, serves as a windbreaker.

Layering is my past time of choice, especially because it opens up the opportunity for mixing prints. It took me years to get a good grasp on this skill, and even now I still have to ask my friends whether it looks like a drunk Teen Vogue stylist dressed me or if my outfit really does work. In an effort to spice up the standard sweater, leggings, boots, and infinity scarf that is everyone’s uniform in the winter, here are some basic rules to follow to successfully mix prints. WARNING: results may vary.

1.     Stick to a general color code. Mixing prints is no excuse to throw out every fashion rule your mother and InStyle taught you. Choose colors that compliment each other or surround one pop of color with neutrals.

2.     Pick one dominant pattern. One of the common ways that mixing prints goes wrong is when people use multiple large prints in one outfit. If you are going to use a large block print, keep it to one piece and use smaller, more understated prints such as plaids or stripes for the other pieces.

3.     Have at least one solid piece. To avoid causing a car accident, have at least one solid piece in your ensemble.

4.     Less is not always more. Some people will put on two different prints and think that that is enough. Why not add a polka dotted tights with your striped sweater and plaid top?

5.     Use your own judgment, because you are your best fashion consultant. Who knows, maybe you will come up with the cutest outfit that breaks all of the above rules.

Mixing prints is one of the best ways to spice up your winter wardrobe and, with that, your dull winter days. Next time you reach for your standard leggings and sweatshirt combo, switch out the leggings for polka dot pants and the sweatshirt for a pin-stripe sweater. Maybe even add some leopard print flats. As the great Jenna Lyons says, “Leopard is a neutral, right?”

For more advice on mixing prints, check out Leandra Medine at manrepeller.com! She is an expert on all things patterned. 

Photo Credits: 

trendland.com

manrepeller.com

Camila is a freshman at the College of Charleston, SC and a member of Delta Gamma. She plans to major in Marketing with a double minor Spanish and Communications. She is obsessed with any variation of mac and cheese and tweets often to the dismay of her followers. She loves puns and shopping and plans to severely deplete her savings account in the next four years on King St.