Style > Fashion

Gigi Hadid’s Guest In Residence: Is it worth it?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Gigi Hadid, one of the most iconic models in the industry with more than 30 Vogue covers worldwide, expanded her career into the fashion world when she launched her brand Guest In Residence in September 2022. 

Hy0rLuZnXxXvXm 1NAmLmGP6gnAXoNsCTCI0doMrj7xoeTaIhJB0QHcjWb5bhNy G15N1AH qMVAoivZ 6duwr0Y oiGIMPbScaaFkvOXza6gCKnC40n6NyKRAisKxHJnXnL0eui9 T9unKcIezoVbnIKmrOmFzza47R9e5PUNNdb6tERntNhJLmxnxN Q

The shrunken crew, the perfect everyday long-sleeve cashmere, can be yours for $225. A massive difference from a sweater at H&M. Guest In Residence suggests never wearing knitwear two days in a row so the fibers regain their natural structure and moisture; the cashmere is just that delicate and one of a kind.

hUGNFDdoYmL13ctcQlT3JeVeP1H4BJUibzAn pg2VR6bcd8QVLqm2Q2koFHvp4Y6xL8FQWmY45HWRdsyM8DiHyfDaUvSpXtdG4vG840Bqm6c67BWFACf5EQPjPW S5QwBbRgtcEdNGk6SoazuffhSQSag27GuAv2LgfrVZHkn1MYf14a9qLeZc Ts2j8XA

It is also recommended to avoid unnecessary washes, and under no circumstances should you put your Guest In Residence piece in the washing machine. Frequent washing or dry cleaning will damage the delicate fibers, and any bright colors can fade away. To refresh your knitwear, simply leave it out in the open air; nature is the best medicine.

CGi 01UbQStxG7Z7HOm1Ml8qZLBMArE8r6TricCmiItm7a1Bj3XC5NujTQhl MxQwYEDhl9nxr CovYJGE9u8nRHosBc9ESiyL7OGYr1ZDYKpHzmnFKs8y2yXp0GlpsfF iAN tBSIWt iCmag7tMDaAcGP1pgXiRYj QEe0V5LDhHJjvWs05M4sOfiAmQ

Not only does Guest In Residence have prices that are not easily accessible to the college student obsessed with Gigi on a budget, but the care that is required to maintain the best quality of these sweaters is also more than the average piece of clothing, which may be difficult in a teeny tiny dorm room. The oversized cardigan comes in more than ten colors, for $295. But, who doesn’t want one of Gigi Hadid’s sweaters?

On the brand’s website, Guest In Residence is described as, “a cashmere brand founded in New York by Gigi Hadid, who serves as creative director. Our mission is to create future heirlooms-knitwear designed to last years, not seasons.”

Gigi goes on to describe her inspiration, “reflecting on years of travel and transience, away from home regardless of the place, I was a guest in residence. Of course, those existential thoughts can creep up on feeling homesick, but I always tried to find ‘home’ within myself—my internal residence. I became comfortable with the concept of a  guest in residence. And it made me think further: We’re guests on this planet and in our bodies, guests when we travel..guests in our clothes.  Clothes, when well made, can have many different lives, different owners, and different stories. The genesis of Guest In Residence is to honor past heirlooms and give life to new ones spanning generations.”

FcuGdUbrTKaZxm4a fwebwbFNZEiMFOoL1D9x8rvEREBi 4SGQ2FkUFKrbpbkhDxLnu84brOMeSiLLJDt2uWDJ1l joYez15cfIE0GC4Uoex64aAQeJGuHkTivkQgWsgK6qwTMdsocWWLj2MW8w9ExXv9CaUHvegimhDD5tm61xI M

When Gigi moved to New York, her parents bestowed second-hand cashmere sweaters that became safe portable keepsakes on the road. Each piece, with its own characteristics of history, feel, and personality, allowed Gigi to adopt a cherished family heirloom and make it hers. Guest in Residence is not intended to simply be a sweater and a piece of clothing, Gigi wants to share something that she loves with the people she loves as a marker of time and memory; she does not want people to just wear a sweater, its a keepsake with memories.

Disregarding the unique meaning behind the brand, Guest in Residence is a unique cashmere brand that can be the perfect addition to your fall wardrobe; Gigi Hadid is the creative director. After launching her limited edition line with Frankie’s Bikinis, it was evident that Gigi Hadid has a unique vision in fashion that is hard to not become obsessed with. Whether it is a beanie and scarf set or one of a kind sweater, the colors, designs, and materials utilized by Gigi Hadid are ones not to be missed.

Elizabeth is a sophomore at the College of Charleston from Long Island, New York, with a major in Business Administration and a minor in writing, rhetoric, and publication. Elizabeth currently serves as the Vice President & Director of Marketing, Publicity, and Social Media for HC at COFC. In addition to being involved in many campus organizations such as the Delta Gamma Sorority's Director of Apparel, The Director of Public Relations for the Order of Omega Honor Society, and member of the American Marketing Association at COFC, the sustainable fashion club, and COFC's Finance Club.