Here’s Some Ways to Give Back to the Local Community this Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

We have all seen actors on television or heard of friends giving up time on Thanksgiving to serve at a local Soup Kitchen. But what if that’s not your forte? For many, Thanksgiving is a time to see relatives from out of town and share a good meal. You are not a bad person for spending your Thanksgiving at home, but there are certainly other ways to give back to your local community during the holiday season. 

An easy way to do your part is simply donating to shelters or soup kitchens in your area but considering the sheer amount of donations to soup kitchens during this time, here are some other ideas. 

If you are from Charleston or staying in the area for Thanksgiving, consider giving back to a local organization. If you have ever taken a walk down King Street, you have noticed that Charleston has a significant homeless population. One80 Place aims to combat homelessness by providing food and health/legal advice. Instead of donating to a soup kitchen, consider donating supplies to One80 Place. 

If you are willing to donate your time this holiday season, consider looking into My Sister’s House, a nonprofit for domestic violence victims. My Sister’s House has a website that contains information on how to donate and volunteer. What better way to give back than by empowering others! 

Giving back to your community in any capacity will always be appreciated. If you are not interested in giving back to certain organizations in your area, consider visiting those who are spending the holidays alone. Take a trip to a local nursing home or retirement community to spend time with residents. By simply swapping stories and being present, you will have made a difference in someone’s holiday. 

Websites of organizations: 

One80 Place- https://www.one80place.org

My Sister’s House- https://www.mysistershouse.org/get-involved

I am a sophomore at the College of Charleston planning on majoring in Communication and minoring in Spanish. In my free time, I enjoy reading and going on long walks.