This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Every year in September, Hollywood comes together to award the best of television for the past year. This year’s ceremony marks a slight return to normal, with an audience gathering in the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles to find out who will win the golden statues for 2021. Every year I predict who will win, who should win, and who could win the Emmy in each major category. Here are my predictions for the Comedy categories.

Best Comedy

The Nominees: blackish, Cobra Kai, Emily in Paris, Hacks, pen15, Ted Lasso, The Flight Attendant, The Kominsky Method

Will Win: Ted Lasso

There is absolutely no question that Ted Lasso is going to win this award. It’s had such a groundswell of support over the past year due to its unabashed optimism, humor, and depth. Its equally fantastic second season contained some of its best episodes and performances as Emmy voting was going on, so that might help its chances. However, I think its 20 Emmy nominations, the most for any freshman comedy in history, speak for its odds itself. 

Could Win: Hacks

If any of these shows could steal Ted Lasso’s thunder, Hacks would be the one to do it. It’s another show where every performance was immaculate, every episode was hilarious, and it came out at just the right time to take hold of viewers… and maybe Emmy voters. 

Best Actor in a Comedy

The Nominees: Anthony Anderson (blackish), Kenan Thompson (Kenan), William H. Macy (Shameless), Jason Sudeikis (Ted Lasso), Michael Douglas (The Kominsky Method)

Will Win and Should Win: Jason Sudeikis (Ted Lasso)

The creator and star of Ted Lasso is definitely winning the Emmy. He’s won every precursor award in this category, and the people love Sudeikis. He is absolutely incredible as Ted and the correlation between the Emmy voting window and some of his strongest episodes of season two will definitely help his chances (not that they need much help considering what a phenomenon Ted Lasso has become). 

Best Actress in a Comedy

The Nominees: Tracee Ellis Ross (blackish), Jean Smart (Hacks), Allison Janney (Mom), Aidy Bryant (Shrill), Kaley Cuoco (The Flight Attendant)

Will Win and Should Win: Jean Smart (Hacks)

We are in the middle of a Jean Smart-issance and the Emmys are not going to slow that train. Her portrayal of fictional stand-up comic Deborah Vance was simply electric. Not giving Smart the Emmy in this category would simply be criminal. 

Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy

The Nominees: Carl Clemons-Hopkins (Hacks), Kenan Thompson (Saturday Night Live), Bowen Yang (Saturday Night Live), Jeremy Swift (Ted Lasso), Brett Goldstein (Ted Lasso), Brendan Hunt (Ted Lasso), Nick Mohammed (Ted Lasso), Paul Reiser (The Kominsky Method)

Will Win and Should Win: Brett Goldstein (Ted Lasso)

I’ve said it once and I will say it again: Roy Kent is the best male character on television and that’s in part because of his portrayer and writer. Brett Goldstein brings such a charming gruffness to the character in addition to turning swearing into a true art. He absolutely deserves to be rewarded, and the Emmy voters shouldn’t disappoint.

Could Win and Should Win: Bowen Yang (Saturday Night Live)

I shouldn’t have to say anything beyond “The Iceberg,” but I will anyway. Yang makes history as the first featured player in SNL’s 46 years to get nominated for a performance Emmy, and there’s a reason for it. He brings a quirky sense of humor to each character he plays and brings an original take to many topics and character tropes that have been done before. His Weekend Update piece on Asian American hate was also incredibly powerful and might win voters over. But I still think it all comes down to “The Iceberg.”

Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy

The Nominees: Hannah Einbinder (Hacks), Aidy Bryant (Saturday Night Live), Kate McKinnon (Saturday Night Live), Cecily Strong (Saturday Night Live), Juno Temple (Ted Lasso), Hannah Waddingham (Ted Lasso), Rosie Perez (The Flight Attendant)

Will Win: Hannah Waddingham (Ted Lasso)

Rebecca started out Ted Lasso as the villain-apparent but by the end became a champion of the Lasso way. That transformation and depth is thanks to her portrayer, Hannah Waddingham. Rebecca is one of the strongest characters on the show and has had one of the best character development arcs I have seen on a show in a looooong time. This could very well secure her an Emmy win.

Should Win: Hannah Einbinder (Hacks)

This is Einbinder’s first scripted show. Playing a character who goes head-to-head with a legend like Jean Smart is a massive feat for anyone but Einbinder does it with ease. She’s effortlessly funny as Ava, and her sarcasm and off-the-cuff comments make the show even more hilarious. This is her first nomination, though, and Hacks has been renewed for another season so she will have plenty of time to win this award in the future.

Could Win: Juno Temple (Ted Lasso)

If I were to bet my money on winners I would say one of the two Ted Lasso actresses is winning this award. Juno Temple and her character Keeley are another instance of having a character that could come across as one-note growing into one that has so much depth and smarts and personality. Keeley is, in my opinion, the conscience of the show; she is the one character who seems to know how to help steady and balance everyone while also doing what’s best for herself, and Temple is the factor who brings all of that out. I’m pretty sure Waddingham is going to take home the trophy but it would be so amazing to see it go to Temple. 

We won’t know for sure who wins these categories until September 19 so here’s to guessing who will win!

The Emmys air September 19 at 8 PM on CBS.

Full time student, part time awards show predictor, full time recommender of television shows, movies, and books.