Dos and Don’ts of College Packing: Out of State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Are you an upcoming freshman from out of state freaking out about what to bring to college in the fall? Are you worried you might bring too much or too little? Are you so excited to start picking things out, but don’t know exactly what you’re supposed to be picking out? I think I can help you out. I am finishing up my freshman year and I have some Dos and Don’ts about what you should and should not bring to college.

Do: Use the “Pack and Hold” at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

Bed, Bath, and Beyond offers an option called “Pack and Hold” for you to shop at the local store in your hometown and then ship all the items that you register for to the Bed, Bath and Beyond in your college town. This is extremely helpful because you won’t be stuck having to drive clear across the county with all your bedding, linens, school supplies and decorations.  (You might even be able to fly!)

Photo from Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Do: Check the dorm rules before starting your shopping list

Photo from YourTango.

The rules of the dorms can be very specific so before you go buy 9-inch bed risers, hot plates, candles, etc., make sure they aren’t prohibited first.

Don’t: Pack every piece of clothing in your closet.

Photo from Fairy Tale After 40.

It’s very tempting to say that you’re going to wear all your sweaters and sundresses, but let’s face it, you won’t. It’s very easy to slip into the leggings and long t-shirt habit for class every day. Try your best to go through each piece of clothing and question how often you wear the item.  If the answer is rarely or never, leave it at home. Also, those dorm closets are tiny AF and you don’t want to end up storing a bunch of clothes that you’ll never wear under the bathroom counter.

Do: Take home winter clothes in the summer and summer clothes in the winter.

Photo from Cosmopolitan.

If you have the opportunity to go home during breaks, take home your tank tops and shorts over Thanksgiving and Christmas, then do the same with your long sleeves and jackets during Spring Break.  It will create a ton of storage space for you and also make transitioning back home for the summer easier.

Don’t: Go out and buy everything that you’re going to need for yourself

Photo from Her Campus.

Chances are your roommate and suitemates are going to need the same things, so talk with them first before making your shopping list. You might find that they are willing to share their Brita, lamp, Keurig, etc. This way you won’t end up with 4 shower curtains or more spoons than you will ever actually need. 

I am a creative, fun-loving girl from a small town in New Mexico. I'm a freshman at CofC and I am majoring in Early Childhood Education. I love writting, the beach, traveling, my family and my friends!!