Dan and Steve Lander ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Congratulations, ladies! Exams are over, and summer has finally begun. How about rewarding yourself with something sweet? Perhaps an Ice Cream Sunday with not one, but two cherries on top? Or maybe something even sweeter? This week there’s not just one, but two, Campus Cuties! Dan and Steve Lander, sit on a bench in the Cistern, enjoying a beautiful Sunday afternoon with backpacks at their feet. They are each wearing t-shirts and shorts, chatting lightly with one another as they people watch.

The two twin brothers are 19 year old freshmen from Tulsa, Oklahoma. Dan, majoring in Marine Biology, and Steve, Biochemistry, are both extremely involved on campus.  Each of them are in the Honors College, Founding Fathers of Beta Theta Pi Fraternity, volunteers at Roper Hospital, and members of AED, the National Pre-Health Honor Society on campus. Steve is involved with Charleston 40, Honor Board, and also was a Cougar Excursion Facilitator. Dan is a member of the Pre-Dental Student Association and has also volunteered in Costa Rica. Conversation comes naturally to both of them, each feeding off the other’s remarks. The two grew up in Catholic school with one older brother and two tremendously encouraging parents.

Steve, infectiously positive, intent on every word, only breaks his train of thought to burst into his contagious laughter, which happens often. Dan, is more mild, cooler, interjecting now and then to gush about his girlfriend. Equally handsome, equally driven, and equally talented, HerCampus had the pleasure of sitting down with the dynamic duo to find out what really makes them tick.

What brought you both to Charleston? Did you plan on going to the same college?

Steve: “We both had the same idea of what we wanted.”

Dan: “Yeah, we’ve been vacationing here for like 12 years, and one day we took and tour and loved it.”

Steve: “It had all the programs for both of us. Yeah, it was perfect.”

Steve, if you could steal one quality from Dan, what would it be?

“Hmmm. That’s a really great question. Ladies’ man. Like, he’s really good with women. Not in a weird way, but in a good way.”

Dan, what about you?

“Steve’s really driven. I am too, but like he can stay in the library for hours. I don’t know how he can stay focused for so long. He’s motivated.”

Would you guys say you have the same taste in girls?

Dan: “No. we have totally different taste. Well, I don’t know.”

Steve:  “I like a girl who is super driven, empowered to do whatever she wants, but also chill. Not a spaz. Independent.”

Dan: “Yeah, my girlfriend is extremely independent. She always works really hard.”

Have you guys ever fallen for the same girl?

Steve: “You know, I don’t think we ever have. That’s so interesting. I guess we don’t have the same taste.”

Dan: “Fundamentally, we have the same taste, but physically, no. I mean, we both like classy girls. I guess it’s all situational.”

Dan,  I understand you and your girlfriend are in a long distance relationship. What advice would you give to other couples doing the same?

“Communication is the biggest thing ever. We have so much trust in each other. We aren’t clingy. If you just trust and talk with them every day, you’ll be fine.”

What do you each consider the most important value in life?

Steve: “Never be lazy. Be motivated.”

Dan: “Just strive for excellence.”

What is your favorite childhood memory?

Dan:  “I don’t have one specific memory, but just in general, hanging out with my brothers outside.”

Steve: “Yeah, just going to the lake. Doing anything outside. Kids don’t really do that anymore. It’s fun.”

Steve, you’re so positive. About everything. Why is that?

“Yeah, definitely. I think it’s important to be positive. But I don’t know. I’ve just had such a great life. I’m very thankful. Very appreciate of every opportunity. I utilize every chance. You only get one life, you know?”

Last question. Dan, what is your favorite thing to do with your girlfriend?

“Being in each other’s company. We both love to just go out in public together. We like holding hands, showing off our relationship. Experiencing new things together.”

She had a cocktail in her hand and confetti in her hair.
Camilla States is a member of the class of 2015 at The College of Charleston.  She hails from the seaside town of Gloucester, Massachusetts, where she enjoys spending her summers on both land and sea.  A Communications major also pursuing a minor in Political Science, Camilla aspires for a future career in broadcast or print journalism. She is also studying Modern Standard Arabic, with hopes of one day becoming proficient in the language. From a young age, Camilla has held a fascination for world geography and foreign cultures.  She hopes to someday traverse the world, from New England to New Zealand and everywhere in between.