This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Meet Campus Cutie, Ava Earnest. This Midwesten beauty is the perfect combination of brains, looks and personality. She will have you laughing out loud just from having a five-minute conversation with her. Empathetic and honest, Ava is the perfect listener. When she’s not killing it in the classroom, you can find her admiring Charleston’s beauty in various places such as the beach, King Street, and the Battery. 

Hometown: Fishers, Indiana

Major: Biology

Year: Freshman

What made you decide to attend CofC? I first fell in love with CofC when I was twelve. My family and I visited Charleston often. The campus is unlike anything I have ever seen; coming from a place that is filled with cornfields. I could not take another Indiana winter with negative 10 degree weather and 20 inches of snow, so I came here to sunshine and palm trees.

What is your dream job? My dream job is to be a genetic engineer for human development.

Could you explain that a little further for our science-challenged readers? Well, I’m really interested in working with stem cells. For example, I’ve read that researchers are looking at ways to use stem cells to grow human hearts in order to minimize the number of people who have to wait for a heart transplant.

Awesome! So, as an Indiana native, what advice do you have for other out-of-state students who attend school far from home? For other students who are far away: I think that it is very important for you to do something you love everyday just to remind you who you are and why you are here. Missing home is a really difficult thing, but when you engage in things you enjoy and try to stay busy it is a little easier. I would also say that the best thing an out of state student can do is get out of their bubble and let go of what they know. This is a very different place and you have to keep an open mind everywhere you go and be able to meet new people and try new things.

So, tell us what you look for in a guy. In a guy I look for someone who can make me seriously laugh. He also needs to understand my sense of humor. He must have good music taste and a good appetite. I like silly, fun, and simple guys who preferably have a dog.

Hypothetically, let’s say you have unlimited funds. Where do you go and what would you do? Unlimited funds? I get on the next flight to Australia, build myself a nice little home and get a pet koala bear. I would spend my life exploring, scuba diving and being legendary. And I’d also buy the Versace store, because why not?What are some of your hobbies? I like to be outside and go to the beach. I play the piano and enjoy cooking. I also like naps. (:

What’s your favorite restaurant in Charleston (so any future dates know where to take you:])  I guess I would have to say Pane e Vino. I haven’t been to that many restaurants- I’m broke.

Ava, left, with roommate, Aleisha

Catherine Yetman is a sophomore from New Jersey. She loves yoga and spending her free time at the beach. She is studying psychology at the College of Charleston in hopes of becoming a psychologist one day.