Wellness

Are you revolving your life around social media?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Social media is great, it’s super fun and can be really helpful. It seems like everyone has social media, and nowadays, it’s almost impossible not to be a part of it. With that being said, there comes a time where these platforms can start to take over your life and actually hinder your character in a negative way. Here’s what to look out for.

1. you use social media as a way to get revenge

Let’s be honest, Everyone does this at some point. Posting pictures on instagram for your ex to see, making petty TikToks about someone, sending snapchats to make others jealous, etc… But look, if these are the primary reasons you’re active on social media, it’s probably unhealthy; you’re coping in a useless way.

2. you can’t stop looking at snap maps/snap scores

Essentially, this is an obsession issue. If you find yourself checking someone’s snap score and caring in the slightest, you need to either take a break from that person, or a break from the app in general.

3. “vacation pics” take over the actually vacation

Who doesn’t want good pictures on vacation? It’s totally normal to have photo ideas for vacation or even a special occasion. But are you unsatisfied until you get a good picture? Is getting a “good pic” your main goal for the day? If this is a normal occurrence, you’re wasting time and experience on something that has no effect on your life in the long run. Prioritize memories over content.

4. you’re in a bad mood until you have a response

Let’s be honest, sitting around and waiting for a text back isn’t fun. When a certain snapchat or text pops up on your phone, it can be exciting and almost relieving. Often, this creates an anxious attachment. If your day is ruined because you haven’t received enough attention from someone through the phone, this is a red flag. At the end of the day, all you have is yourself. Focus on that.

5. you’re tired, but stay on your phone

It’s common for people to fall asleep on their phones and most of us can’t even sleep without checking social media first. While this is normalized, it’s still an awful habit. Naturally, our bodies don’t require some type of entertainment or distraction to fall asleep. When you’re tired, there’s no reason to stay up late because your phone is entertaining. The health benefits from a good nights rest outweigh your amusement from TikTok.

Grace Crawford is from Lake Placid NY and currently a sophomore at the College of Charleston. You can always find Grace "balancing" the most important thrills of life; new experiences, pleasure, and health.