This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

I am an avid TV viewer; I watch what feels like almost every show on television. But part of what comes with watching many shows is knowing that at some point they all end. This 2019-2020 TV has 4 shows in particular that I know I’m going to miss because of what they’ve given to me.

Arrow

I will admit, I haven’t watched the past couple of seasons because the show went a bit off the rails from its original premise in my opinion. But I tuned in to the finale to see out a show I have watched for 6 years. Arrow gave me the name I use at the summer camp I work at (why this is the case is a long story for another day), Canary, because Sara and Laurel Lance were my two favorite characters on the show. What I really liked about Arrow was that despite it being a vigilante show it was rooted in taking down people who (usually) were people that could actually be found in the real world. Plus, the fans of this show have created a strong online network, using the mutual interest in the show to raise money for groups such as F*** Cancer, Paws and Stripes, and even more organizations doing good. Characters aren’t the only ones who can help save the world, and Arrow brought together a group of people to help the real world.

How to Get Away With Murder

Speaking of helping people in the real world… Aside from seeing a badass female lawyer help those who have been wronged and take down people who are not-so-great (to say the least) and having the lead be the first black woman to win Lead Actress in a Drama at the Emmys, the show portrays topics such as mental health, addiction, abuse, and even more in a manner that feels real and shows an understanding of how these really affect a person. The characters, no matter how many awful things they wind up involved in, all have a little something that we can find in ourselves no matter who you are.

Schitt’s Creek

When it comes to character growth there is one show that has down this better than others. At its beginning, the Rose family were vapid rich people who seemed almost removed from reality. But now as it’s closing out its 6 season run, the characters have become different people from where they started in all the best ways. Moira always felt the spotlight should be on her; by the end she learned to share it and use it to boost others up. Johnny’s focus had been simply on getting out of Schitt’s Creek; now he’s made it his home. David has been very isolated and had trouble trusting in relationships; in the final season he’s getting married. Alexis was a jett-setting playgirl (who I would really like to see a prequel series about because her rich life sounds FASCINATING); in season 6 she’s found a committed relationship and an area of expertise she seems to excel in. Yet the most important area the Rose family seemed to grow was as a family. At the start of season 1 they were basically 4 people living under the same roof, but the final season has shown that they all genuinely like each other and love each other. Oh, and this billboard on Sunset Boulevard carries the rest of what they represent on TV.

The Good Place

And saving the best for last. Michael Schur has never not made something hilarious, and The Good Place is no different. What sets The Good Place apart though is how smart it was. Woven into all the laughs were many ethics lessons, from the Trolley Problem to Greek philosophers (this scene still cracks me up without fail), and done to help the characters, and in turn the viewers, learn to become better people. It created its own language (“holy motherforking shirtballs” being a fabulous encompassing of the vocabulary) and incredible one liners (“I wasn’t a failed DJ, I was presuccessful” is a personal favorite). Plus, the characters were so carefully crafted that I cried as they said goodbye to each one because every one of them had something that resonated. To be able to so seamlessly educate and entertain audiences of all ages is no small feat, and one that was executed perfectly over 4 seasons.

And yet all good things must come to an end. Each of these shows has represented and manifested something greater than just being a TV show, whether it’s creating an avid community that has helped many different causes, portraying underrepresented groups and topics in a realistic fashion, bringing a sense of family back to TV, and teaching people while making them laugh. It’s hard to say goodbye, but the legacies they’ll leave behind will make them even greater.

Full time student, part time awards show predictor, full time recommender of television shows, movies, and books.