This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

“New Girl” is one of the most binge-worthy shows on Netflix. So, if you haven’t seen it, do yourself a favor and start watching.

The lead character, Jessica Day, is one of the best parts of the show. She is quirky, funny, and confident. In honor of my having rewatched the show twice now, here are 7 lessons for the 7 seasons of Jess. (Warning – spoilers ahead!)

Be unapologetically yourself.

You won’t make lasting relationships by trying to hide the real you… nor will you be happy. Do not apologize or change for other people.

Actively seek out the good in every person.

Jess once talked down a man with a gun in a parking lot. However, and this is important, if continuing to look for the good in someone is detrimental to your well-being, it’s time to move on.

Speaking of moving on…

Know when it’s time to let go.

We watched as Jess let go of ex-boyfriends, even when it was difficult for her (Dr. Sam, we’re looking at you).

Trust your instincts.

Jess found these guys on Craigslist apartment hunting. She trusted her gut and they became her best friends.

Lean on your friends.

Make friends you can trust and depend on. The most heartwarming scene is when Jess is stood up on her date and the guys came to her rescue.

You can love animals, polka dots, and baking, AND be strong.

Femininity does NOT make you weak! Wear the polka dots and ruffles and pink. Bake the cookies, cuddle the dogs, show your soft side. It’s all part of you. 

All of us deserve our own theme song.

You aren’t a side character in your own life.

“Who’s that girl? … It’s YOU!”

Lily Andrews

C of C '23

I'm Lily, and I'm currently working on my B.S. in Exercise Science. I want to do pediatric OT because I love working with children (honestly, the kids I babysit might be who I miss most from home...). Some other things I love: sweet tea, dogs, semicolons, and hanging out in the trees in my eno.