7 Books to Read Over Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Spring Break is the perfect time to relax. After midterms, tests, papers, and boatloads of homework, we could all use a break. So be sure to take part of your week to curl up with a book and enjoy! 

1. The Siren by Kiera Cass

Fans of The Selection series can’t miss Kiera Cass’s newest stand alone novel about a girl-turned-siren, a fantastical sea creature who uses her voice to lure people to their oceany grave. When said girl meets boy, they instantly have a connection. But there’s a catch – to him, her voice is deadly.

Average Goodreads rating: 3.91/5

2. Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling

ICYMI – Mindy’s new book is absolutely as hilarious and entertaining as her first (Why Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?). 

Average Goodreads rating: 3.91/5 & Goodreads Choice Award 2015 winner

3. The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

Set in World War II, this undeniably provoking novel follows two sisters and the frightening situations they must face during wartime. A close examination at the bond between sisters, human’s capacity for courage, and the monstrosities of war, this page-turner needs to be on your list.

Average Goodreads rating: 4.53/5 & Goodreads Choice Award 2015 winner

4. Passenger by Alexandra Bracken

Etta Spencer is a relatively normal teenage girl, until she is thrust into a new world – one that is both miles and years away from home. This time-traveling tale of adventure, romance, and power is a can’t miss read.

Average Goodreads rating: 3.99/5

5. Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walters

Split between the beautiful Italian coastline and a bustling Hollywood movie studio lot, this novel spans over fifty years and a dozen unforgettable characters. Their tangled lives are thematically connected by long-lost love, dreams and passion. 

Average Goodreads rating: 3.68/5

6. Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare

The author of The Mortal Instruments series brings us the first book in a brand-new series in the Shadowhunters universe. Five years after City of Heavenly Fire, the next generation must grapple with growing-up, avenging their losses and dealing with typically spiteful faeries.

Note: Lady Midnight comes out on Tuesday, March 8th, so be sure to hit up Barnes & Noble over break to grab one of the first copies!

Average Goodreads rating: 4.48/5

7. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

We could all benefit from a little more Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy in our lives. Whether this is your first time reading, or if P&P is a treasured favorite, we highly recommend taking a day out of your break to revisit what is (arguably) Austen’s best novel.

Average Goodreads rating: 4.24/5

Happy reading collegiettes! HCXO

I'm a senior English major with a concentration in Creative Writing at CofC originally from Boston. I'm also a member of the Honors College, Literati, and HSA here at the College. I love libraries, Target, and exploring; and I am way too emotionally invested in fictional characters. I'm currently leaving the love of my life (the ocean) behind to study abroad in London for the semester.