6 Ways to Network & Make Connections

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Networking has always been something that kind of makes me cringe, not that it’s not important or doesn’t help you reach your career goals, but in a lot of cases it can feel forced or unnatural.  With that being said, it doesn’t have to be.  Networking can help you make connections with common interests or career goals, find mentorship opportunities and even help you to land your next job or internship.  Go out there and network, and with the help of these six tips you can make the most of the experience.  

Use it as a learning opportunity.

Every opportunity you take to network can be used as way to learn about yourself and your future career goals.  Ask whoever you’re talking to questions.  Learn about why they chose their current career, why they’ve stuck it and how they became successful in it.  Learn about what their day to day life looks like in that position. The more questions you ask the more you can learn from them.  And, when you’re done, connect with them via email or social media to learn even more about them.  

Gain mentorship from people in your respective field.

If you haven’t exhausted all your questions, you can turn to these connections and ask them for mentorship as you make your way into your respective field.  Meet up for coffee or lunch and discuss what steps you should be making next or ask them if they have any other connections they can direct you too.  When you do this you’re not only creating a stronger connection but you’re also fostering a friendship.  

Put yourself out there.

This has always seemed daunting to me because putting yourself out there can sometimes not go how you want it to go.  However, it comes with a big pay off.  Take the opportunity to print up your resume and go to campus networking events or even take the time to email people at companies you would want to work for in the future.  It might seem awkward at first but once you put yourself out there and show you’re actively working towards your goals, those people will see it (and hopefully become another connection for you).  

Meet one on one with professors and campus faculty.

College is an amazing place where you have opportunity to network with both academics and professionals.  Most of the time, professors have worked jobs you’re looking to take on or have connections that they can direct you to in those fields.  They’re there for you and willing to help you if you need it.  Set up an appointment during their office hours or shoot them an email to chat about your future.  Trust us on this, you won’t regret making this connection.  

Identify key connections you want to make.

Once you’ve started to build your list of connections it’s important to identify key connections.  These could be connections that you haven’t built upon yet or ones you haven’t made, however they should be people who are in your relevant field or who can help you along the way. Reach out to them and start to build them.  By focusing on these connections you can create more than just a coffee buddy, but also a mentor, role model and potential employer. 

Be active in alumni networks.  

As a lot of us start to graduate, it’s important to look to the future.  Start actively participating in alumni networks at your college, for organizations you’ve been involved in (like sororities, fraternities, sports) or from your high school.  By doing this you already know you have at least one thing in common with them.  Go to events, participate in conference calls or leadership opportunities and try to put yourself out there even more than you have already.  You never know what connection you can make just by taking the time to look at the community you already participate in.

Networking to find jobs and mentors isn’t easy, but in the end it’s worth it.  By putting yourself out there, building your networks and using networking as a learning experience, you’re sure to be successful in your prospective field.  

Born and raised in the northernmost state, Alaska, Marissa flew south to College of Charleston for a little more sun and a little more heat.  She believes a good life involves coffee, puppies, and more coffee and free time is her favorite thing not to have.