This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

The idea of going to college was something that began greatly occupying my thoughts in the 9th grade. With so many years of anticipation, I was both excited and terrified to finally begin. With almost one semester under my belt, I can confidently say that I am IN LOVE with college. The experience has been lovely thus far, but like with most big things in life, I have learned a lot… Here are five things I have learned from my first semester. 

1. Getting the school part down has been a blessing!

When I came to the College of Charleston, I was obsessed with joining the sailing team. However, I realized very quickly that my busy first-semester schedule made it hard even to make it to tryouts. I was heartbroken, but I told myself that it would be a good thing to get the swing of school down this semester. Now that the semester is coming to an end, I am so grateful that I gave myself time to get adjusted to a college schedule. 

2. Anyone is just a phone call away.

I am from the great state of Texas! Before I began college, I was worried that I would get terribly homesick. While I do have my moments of missing my family and home from time to time, the distance has been so much easier than I was expecting. I do wish that I could reach through the phone and hug my family, but just getting to hear their voices when I miss them still brings that great reassuring feeling. 

3. No one is going to push you, but YOU. 

This is a concept that applies to EVERYTHING. If you get involved in clubs. How you perform in school. Eating healthy or not. Going to the gym (or not). Making friends. When you go to bed. Going out or staying in. You have to make these decisions for yourself, and while it is tempting just to take the easy or fun routes, it is important to be able to evaluate what you need to do to take care of yourself.

4. A good group of friends makes all of the difference. 

As I already mentioned, I am far from home, so having an incredible group of friends in my life makes everything so much better. In high school, I was so much shyer than I am now, but I knew that when I got to college, that I needed to “fake it to make it” and push myself to make friends. I am so grateful! Having a solid group has given me so much support and has made the semester incredibly fun and special.

5. Why people talk about “The good ole college days.”

I get it now! “Those four years will change your life.” I used to listen to people talk about their times in college with such admiration and think “that seems like so much to only happen in four years.” I get it now…college is the best thing since sliced bread.

Hello! My name is Kate, I am from Dallas, Texas and I will be graduating from CofC in the Spring of 2023. I am an international business major with a Spanish minor and a member of the CofC Sailing Team.