13 going on 30 closet?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
13 going on 30 closet?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Columbia Pictures / Revolution Studios
Style > Fashion

5 Staple Pieces to Have in Your Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Listen, fashion can get exhausting. Trends are always changing, inflation prices are killing us all, and secretly we all want to be the best dressed in the room from time to time. As I said, exhausting. I don’t even want to think about all the hours spent trying to find the perfect outfit to wear – it would honestly be concerning

This is why we have staple pieces. Everyone needs these pieces in their closet due to their timelessness and simple nature. They will always be in style and look flattering on everyone. So, to avoid those mornings when you’re tossing around your entire wardrobe and feeling that impending doom of a good old-fashioned “stress cry,” maybe consider implementing some of these items into your closet.

Leather Coat

I can’t count the times when I’d felt “meh” about a look I had on and was saved by my leather jacket. You want good quality pleather (fake leather) or an authentic piece second-hand. A black leather coat takes any look, no matter how simple, and elevates it while making whoever’s wearing it look elegant yet powerful. The style of the jacket is up to you, but if you want a genuine timeless look, I’d stray from the cropped ones with all the metal detailing. Find one that is simple yet still appealing to your own personal style if possible, but if anything on this list is a must-have, I’m going to give it to this one.

Example: jacket

good quality Straight leg jeans

Good jeans will last you your whole life. The important thing here is to be willing to spend about $100 on an authentically good quality pair of jeans, such as the Levi 501s. You need them in the straight style as that’s the style that is timeless, unlike bootcut or skinny jeans. They will go with just about any top you have and you can dress them down or put on a nice blouse and a blazer to look like a CEO, which can’t hurt anyone. They are tight enough at the top that you don’t feel too baggy, but loosen near the mid-thigh, ensuring you’re not confined too much while actually making you appear taller. Don’t go for extra low-rise or high-rise, but pick a mid-rise pair that will be flattering to all body types and will never go out of fashion!

Example: jeans

White button down shirt

You know how I previously said that the leather jacket was the must-have of all the must-haves? I lied, this one is a tie. A slightly oversized white button-down will do wonders for you that you didn’t even know existed. Like all the rest of these, you can dress the shirt up or down depending on the desired look. But what makes this piece so special is that it is probably the most versatile item of clothing you could own. Want to look like the girls who get up in the morning wearing their boyfriends’ shirts and it looks so precious and cute on them? You got it. Want to give the impression that you could be Bella Hadid walking around New York in the coolest outfit known to mankind? You guessed it- white button-down. Tuck it into some linen pants! Wear it over a black dress! The options are endless, and I’ve never had a problem that this shirt can’t fix. (Also- you can find these at any thrift store for about three dollars!)

Example: shirt

Little black dress

Ah yes, the age-old wardrobe staple. This term is used in just about every early 2000s show that pertains to women (looking at you, Sex and the City). It’s a cliche, but a cliche for a reason. You don’t want a flamboyant design or anything on the dress itself; just a simple, short (but not too short), spaghetti strap (or strapless) black dress is the key. You can dress this down by pairing a sweater/button-down over it and some white sneakers (the cute kind, not the athletic). But, you can also make it the perfect going-out look by adding black pantyhose, heels, and maybe a leather jacket that you found through this article! There’s no real shortage of how much you can do with just a simple black dress. And the other great part of this? Black looks good on everyone!

Example:dress 2

Black and white fitted tees

Okay, yes, this one is boring. But you’d honestly be surprised as to how few people utilize a tee shirt. First, invest in a halfway decent one if you can afford it. Yes, sometimes companies overprice and you could get a perfectly good shirt from Target, but when the quality level is elevated, you can see it. The way it fits you is more flattering, and the product will stand the length of time if need be. After that, start to experiment. Under a blazer or paired with a mini skirt, who cares! Just use the basics you have and really make them your own!

Example: shirt2

Audrey Kelly

C of C '25

I am inspired by all things fashion and beauty! Thrifting is my favorite hobby, especially if I'm listening to Taylor Swift while doing it. My main goal is to spread body and self positivity for all genders through writing and fashion as much as possible.