This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Last year, the Internet was flooded with pictures of beaches covered with waste, animals choking on plastic, and statistics about how long we have until the Earth is beyond repair. Tons of people started using metal straws, reusable grocery bags, and recycling religiously to help save the planet. However, there’s still more to be done. Straws and plastic bags only make up a fraction of the waste that humans produce. Here are three ways I became more eco-friendly in the past year to combat pollution. 

1. Using Reusable Menstrual Products

Most period products are made for one-time use. Women typically have a period once a month, every month. So, using single-use period products makes no sense. First, typical menstrual products are overly expensive. Secondly, they produce a lot of waste. To save your wallet and the planet, you can opt for a menstrual cup or period panties. 

Menstrual cups are easy to use once you get the hang of it. You have to boil before every period and wash it between daily uses. There are plenty of resources available online to help you learn how to insert it. The menstrual cup can be uncomfortable at first. However, with practice and research, you will be able to use it quickly and safely. I recommend using the Lily Cup for beginners because it’s soft and thin. If you feel more comfortable with menstrual cups, I recommend the Ruby Cup. The company donates a cup to a girl without access to safe period products for every cup purchased.

If you are uncomfortable with invasive period products, you can use period panties. You just put them on and the fabric absorbs your blood (yum). Since you have to wash them after every use, you should invest in at least 2-3.  

2. Investing in Reusable Facial Rounds 

I used to use single-use cotton rounds to remove my makeup and apply skincare products. I would go through 2-4 packs a month depending on how my skin was doing. After realizing how much waste this caused, I invested in reusable cotton rounds. All you have to do is wash them with your laundry, and they’re ready to use again!

3. DIY Deodorant 

This one is probably the weirdest. Store-bought deodorants don’t have reusable containers. I invested in a reusable metal container and make my own deodorant. I use all-natural ingredients. I like this option better than store-bought deodorants because I can trust the products I am putting on my body daily. You can find the recipe I use here! You might need to reapply throughout the day depending on how hot it is, how busy you are, etc. 

As you can see, reusable is the keyword! Every little way of reducing waste will have a big impact in the long run. My life certainly did not get easier by doing this. Some days I want to give up and just use a tampon or use normal deodorant. And some days I slip up and give in. But, again, every little way of reducing waste helps! The Earth has been extremely damaged. The only way to reverse that is with extreme correction. Yes, my more eco-friendly life is sometimes uncomfortable. No, I would not have it any other way. 

Brooke Perry

C of C '23

I’m a freshman Violin Performance Major. My interests include music, culture, spirituality, and feminism.