This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

The day I received my very first piece of high-end makeup is a moment I’ll always remember.

I was fifteen years old when I unwrapped Urban Decay’s Naked Palette early on Christmas morning. I couldn’t help but feel so incredibly happy when I opened up the palette and saw its gorgeous neutral color story. The Urban Decay Naked Palette seemed to be a staple piece in every YouTube beauty vlogger’s makeup arsenal. I admired the prominent members of the YouTube beauty community, so owning the Naked Palette made me feel like I was a part of the group too.

Since that snowy Christmas morning five years ago, my makeup collection has grown exponentially. I’ve snagged all of the successors of the Naked Palette as well as experimented with products from other brands such as Too Faced, Benefit, Tarte, Stila and the list goes on and on. Every time I snag a new product, I can’t help but relive the same happiness I felt after unwrapping my Urban Decay Naked Palette.

As my beauty collection continues to grow, so does my love for makeup. I’ve come a long way since receiving my very first high-end eyeshadow palette, and it’s amazing to reflect on how much my makeup skills and self-confidence have grown.

Women and men wear makeup for a variety of different reasons. I wear makeup because:

It gives me a sense of belonging.

I became interested in makeup during a time in my life where I was desperately trying to fit in. We all have an innate desire for a sense of belonging, and there are a million different ways to fulfill that inclination. Makeup has allowed me to find my place.

It’s my passion.

Whenever someone asks me what I would like to do with my degree in public relations, the answer rolls right off my tongue: I want to do public relations for a beauty company. Makeup is a huge passion of mine. Nothing brings me greater joy than doing a friend’s makeup before a party or reviewing a new beauty product on my personal blog. Life is all about finding your passions, and I’m grateful to have found mine in the form of a gorgeous lipstick shade or stunning eyeshadow palette.

It makes me happy.

There is nothing better than waking up, drinking coffee, listening to some Creedence Clearwater Revival and putting on makeup. Seriously, I can’t think of a more perfect way to start my day. I’ve always considered my morning makeup application a mini therapy session. Nothing makes me happier than blending out different eyeshadow color combinations and applying a thick coat of gloss to my lips. It’s important to focus on the things that make you happy. For me, my happiness comes in the form of a new eyeshadow palette.

Hello, lovely! My name is Kara, and I'm a junior majoring in integrative public relations and minoring in journalism. When I'm not attending class, you can usually catch me jamming out to classic rock, watching makeup tutorials on YouTube, waiting in line at Starbucks or writing for my very own beauty and lifestyle blog. My dream in life is to do PR for a beauty company someday, and I believe writing for Her Campus will help me gain experience so I can do just that.