This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

As of now, I have 12 piercings. Hahahah notice how I say ‘as of now’ (sorry mom). I would say I have experienced enough piercings now that I start to notice a pattern that I go through every time I get a new one. It goes something like this:

“Oh god, my parents are going to kill me.”

I don’t know why I have such the urge to rebel against my parents’ wishes. Look, the good thing about piercings is all you have to do is take them out and they’ll go away.

“Why does everyone here look so cool and tough?”

Every time I go into a tattoo parlor all of the workers look like they could end me in one second. They definitely think I’m just another basic bitch here to get my bellybutton pierced.

“What if it looks stupid?”

This was a huge concern with my nose. I definitely thought I wasn’t stylish enough to pull it off, but as long as you’re confident about it, you can rock any piercing.

“Holy shit, I’m definitely going to pass out.”

I’ve definitely been close, but I have yet to completely pass out. Knock on wood. I always freak myself out and it doesn’t even end up being that bad.

“I can’t cry that would be so embarassing.”

Again, I always freak myself out way more than necessary. I’ve definitely never been in so much pain that I felt the need to cry.

“This needle is so long. Why does it look like that?”

Wait?! That’s the thing that’s going through my skin?! My recommendation – don’t look at the needle. It’ll freak you out. And it looks like it will hurt way more than it actually does.

“This is going to really hurt.”

I mean it is a needle poking a hole through your skin, so you have to expect a little pain, but it’s nothing unbearable.

“Ummm…..is it too late to chicken out?”

I think this EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. But once you’re in the tattoo salon you just can’t leave. That would be beyond embarrassing.

“Wait, that’s it?”

I always forget how quick the actual piercing happens. The cleaning prior takes double the amount of time.

“This looks pretty good!”

Wow, I could actually totally rock this piercing; also it’s so fun to pick out all the new jewelry.

“That was so worth it.”

I mean you know what they say – no regrets.

If you’re even slightly considering getting a piercing – just do it! I know it’s sometimes easier said than done, but it’s absolutely worth it for the quick pain you experience. As long as you keep up with routine cleaning you won’t experience any pain beyond the initial piercing, and it will 100% be worth it after it’s all over. Plus, it always sort of makes me powerful knowing I was able to survive that pain, and you look like a badass when people ask you about it and you’re like “yeah it was nothing.”

Annie McLean

C Mich '21

Hey! My name is Annie and I'm majoring in Integrative Public Relations and minoring in Multimedia Design at Central Michigan University. I love drawing and painting and I spend a lot of my time outdoors, more specifically on the water. I love to paddle board, boat, kayak, rollerblade, and bike. I LIVE for dogs and I would own 500 if I could. I have a black lab puppy named Luna and I miss her everyday I'm here at CMU. I love to listen to music, my taste is pretty diverse, but I am especially into 90s pop and alternative. My guilty pleasure is watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians, yes I know, but I am ADDICTED. My ultimate goal is to hopefully run social media platforms for a large company such as Victoria's Secret or Kylie Cosmetics.