The Sober Way to Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

St. Patrick’s Day may fall on a Monday, but that doesn’t mean people won’t be draped in green, wearing shirts with either a drinking reference or the “Kiss me, I’m Irish” saying. While St. Patrick’s Day is notoriously known as a “drinking holiday” around college campuses, across the nation, students can still have a good time celebrating the Irish holiday alcohol-free.

Keep it traditional with a delicious Irish dinner

St. Patrick’s Day isn’t the same without a proper meal.  Find the right recipe to satisfy your hunger with juicy corned beef and cabbage. For desert, try baking an Irish Cream Chocolate Cheesecake or make some homemade cupcakes with green food flavoring for a St. Patty’s Day theme.

Go Green

Instead of drinking green beer, go for green Kool-Aid. Buy a pack of Lemon-Lime flavored Kool-Aid and get creative and even add a slice of lemon and uce to your drink. It’s cheaper, easy to make, and you can drink as much as you want without having any major side effects.

Listen to traditional Irish music

Give your iTunes playlist a break and crank on some Irish tunes. Singer and songwriter Keith Harkin won The Irish Music Award for top solo performer in concert, while the Gothard Sisters won Best New Irish Artist in 2013. Listen to a few of these artists’ songs on YouTube and expand your music taste.

Get up and dance

You don’t need to have taken classes to practice Irish Step Dancing. All you need is the courage to get up and try. Dancing shoes or socks get up and have some fun learning a few of the basic Irish dance moves off YouTube. Challenge your girlfriends to see who can learn the dance moves the quickest.

After finishing up classes and celebrating the Irish culture, relax over a movie with a group of friends or get turn the television off and count the number of times you see the police patrolling around campus. Be prepared to get a good laugh at the students walking around with sunglasses on Tuesday.

Charnae Sanders is a sophomore at Central Michigan University majoring in the field of journalism. The Detroit native was a 2012 Lem Tucker Journalism Scholarship winner and has interned with The Detroit Free Press and The Wall Street Journal: Classroom Online Edition. She is currently the Editor of the Food & Beverage section of Grand Central Magazine and a former reporter of CMU’s Central Michigan Life. Charnae hopes to write for a professional magazine after graduating from CMU. In addition, she would also like to write and publish her own novels and poetry. She calls writing her passion and is fascinated with the art of storytelling. When this Aquarius isn’t busy working on articles or studying for an exam, you can find her cheering on her favorite sports teams or singing along to Taylor Swift and Beyoncé.