The One That Got Away

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Every girl has one. That one guy it just didn’t work out with, it was plain bad timing. We all have the “one that got away.” There are multiple songs and movies based on this idea, we can all relate. Now, whom do we consider the one that got away? It could be the one guy that you have always had this unspoken thing for, and it just never happened to go your way. There was always something missing that kept it from falling together.

It seems that everyone you ask about this has a story or two to tell. Some of us even have a few that got away. So it got me thinking, why does this happen so often? Is our subconscious continuously searching for “the one”? Or is it that we are always looking for love in the wrong places? One thing most girls can relate to is that we want what we can’t have.

Another way to look at things, was this person really as great as we remember? Or maybe we were caught up in the moment. We put these relationships on pedestals, and not because it was actually an extraordinary relationship, but it all happened so quickly and we are still stuck in the puppy love, lustful stage of the game. It is easy to get lost in it all and have such strong feelings, because you haven’t even been around this person long enough to find the little things that bother you about each other.

Is there anything good that comes out of these short-lived flings, or barely-there relationships? I would like to think yes. If you look hard enough you can find good in anything. One thing we gain from these little heartaches is experience. We simply learn what we did wrong in order to fix it the next time we’re in a similar situation. We also gain great memories because at the time, it was everything we wanted and nothing could have felt better.

That brings me to my next point; can we avoid this from happening? Should we even try to prevent this from happening? In my opinion, there is just something so perfect about it all. There are few things in life or memories that are left perfect or pristine in our minds. Instead of trying to force things to happen when the expiration date on the relationship has already come and gone, just let it go. There is no need to taint the great memories that you do have. Let it out of your mind, and move on from it; cherish the great times, and the simplicity of it all. If it really is meant to happen down the road, like everyone says, it will. Do not force anything. Desperation isn’t a good look for anyone.

If we didn’t have the one that got away, it may never lead us to the one that stays. These are good things, great learning tools. I still find myself smiling anytime I think about the boys in my life that got away, and that’s exactly how it should be.

Photo Credit (http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/hercampusphoto/Alissa%20-%203%2…)

Kendal Fifield is a junior at Central Michigan University. She is majoring in Commercial Recreation and minoring in Hospitality. She is an active member of her sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma, and is holding an Executive Board position next semester. She is from the small town of Richmond, MI. A fun fact about Kendal, she loves outdoor activities such as running, biking, hiking, and skiing and has recently become a vegetarian.
Alex Puzzolo is a junior at Central Michigan University. She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations and minoring in Leadership. She is an active member in her sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma, by holding Executive Board positions. Alex is a Co-founder of the Central Michigan University chapter of Her Campus. She is from Mundelein, IL and loves to travel. She has been to multiple countries and just recently completed an internship in Ireland. An interesting fact about Alex is that she has worked in a jewelery store for the past two years and is certified member of the Gemology Institute of America.