Get the London Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

After a few years slaving away at CMU or at least telling your parents that, you get that itch for something new, something exciting; a change.  Maybe you try a new haircut, get a new wardrobe but for those wanting an experience, you head for the Study Abroad Office in Ronan Hall.  Before you realize what you got yourself into, you’re spending days, weeks and even months planning where and when you want to travel abroad.

For me, traveling to London this past summer was a no brainer.  I wanted out of here and I wanted it bad.  Since before I can remember London has attracted me.  I’m not sure if it is those dashing accents or the daring wardrobes but I needed to get there someway, somehow.  Most students, who study abroad, choose to take classes, however, I chose to fulfill my internship credits instead.  After a couple of interviews with different companies, I knew that the hip, new, trendy nightclub was right where I wanted to be. 

June 7th I hopped the non-stop flight to London, shedding a few tears filled with excitement and nervousness.  My dreams were finally coming true.  Once I slept off the jet lag, I was ready to see what this city had to offer.  Thankfully, I wasn’t alone.  I got to spend my summer with 60 other students from all over the US longing for the same thing I was; adventure. 

After a few clueless trips on the Tube, the underground subway, I was slowly getting the hang of this place.  Tell me a neighborhood or street and I could get there.  Suddenly this amazing, gigantic city began to feel smaller and I was no longer a nervous American wandering around aimlessly, well not all of the time.

Before heading across the Atlantic, I had an idea in my head of what to expect.  Reality exceeded my expectations and then some.  I spent my days in outdoor markets filled with trinkets, London’s hottest fashion trends and food from all over the world.  Whatever you wanted, London had it.  The nightlife was almost as lively as the day.  Mass amounts of people would busily scurry through the Tube to make their reservations where happy hour lasted all night long. 

The downfall of being an American in London is the currency.  Unfortunately, the American dollar and the UK pound are not too compatible for your wallet.  As I repeatedly told myself it’s all about the experience, the little voice in my head would cry every time my credit card was swiped.  Every pence and pound was worth my eight-week experience. 

On the first day of my internship, I woke up hours too early and psyched myself up before heading out on my daily walk.  Let me add that I was one of the lucky ones.  The nightclub were I worked was filled with young, fresh faces eager to make this place “West Ends Most Elite Nightclub” and I was just happy to be the intern.  I did the typical intern duties; coffee runs, and answering phones but once they gave me a task I put my PR skills to use and helped them in any way I could. 

Trying to go above and beyond the tasks given to you is the best way to gain your bosses attention.  When I left my job, I knew I left my mark.  In some way, whether big or small, I changed that place and it is the best feeling of accomplishment. 

We sit through classes and fix “what if” scenarios without a result.  This internship allowed me to realize that I can fix more than just “what if” scenarios but actually improve a business. 

Hopefully, I left more than just a mark on my job but London as a whole.  London is amazing! Terrifying, but amazing.  As an anxious 21-year-old American girl thrown into one of the biggest cities in the world, it could very well be a recipe for disaster.  Thankfully, this summer has been the best summer of my life.  I made friends from all over the world, took chances I never would have thought of and explored one of the most unique cities on this beautiful Earth. 

I will say this a thousand times no matter who you are whether you are nervous or think you can’t possibly move across the globe for a few months, here’s a secret: YOU CAN. 

Not only is my life different now, I have a different perspective too.  I’m not sure if it’s because I did it on my own or whether the environment but only great things can come from studying abroad if you put your heart into it.

If you are interested in Studying Abroad visit their office in Ronan Hall 330 Monday – Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm or call (989) 774-4308.

“When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.” – Samuel Johnson

Annie is a junior at Central Michigan University from Plymouth, Mi.  She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations with a minor in Leadership.  Annie is an active member in her sorority Phi Sigma Sigma holding numerous positions within the chapter.  She has a love for travel, food and pets and looks forward to an internship abroad Summer 2013.  Annie loves writing for Her Campus and cannot wait to see this chapter grow to be such a great success! :)