This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

There’s nothing quite like walking into a local coffee shop, listening to the whistle of the espresso machine, and being hit by the heady smell of coffee beans. Whether you prefer your coffee black or preceded by a few adjectives, there is an ongoing expectation associated with buying coffee at a local cafe that it is only for “coffee snobs.” 

One of the reasons for this misunderstanding is due to the higher cost associated with buying from local establishments. While coffee from a cafe is frequently more expensive than your standard cup of gas station joe, buying from a local coffee shop supports a small business owner. You get to support an individual who is putting their passion first. There is nothing better than being able to support someone else who loves the same things that you do. Buying from a local shop also means that you’re able to support an actual human instead of a corporation which is pretty cool in my opinion. Being able to know the name of the person who is both benefiting from what you’re buying is a small wonder in today’s day and age.

Not only are you supporting a local business owner, but coffee from a small cafe is typically of a much higher quality than from other places. When you can smell the fresh-roasted coffee beans when you walk into an establishment, it is hard to say that that can ever compare to diluted coffee from a machine or bottle. The taste of almost any other coffee cannot compare to that of espresso-based, especially when added to a sweet latte, mocha, or cappuccino. There’s nothing quite like being able to enjoy a high quality drink which you know is something made with real ingredients because you watched it being prepared in front of your eyes.

The ambiance in a coffee house is yet another reason they should be supported. The soft indie music paired with the smell of brewing coffee, the soft thuds of mugs being set down on tables or clinks of mugs into saucers, and the soft murmurs of other patrons blend together to create an incredibly soothing atmosphere.

Overall, “coffee snobbery” is less of a question of being elite and more about supporting local businesses and their high-quality products. I think those are very worthwhile things to support.

Eva Steepe

C Mich '22

Eva Steepe is a sophomore at Central Michigan University. She is majoring in English Literature with minors in French and Leadership. She loves to learn about anything and everything and is passionate about someday seeing the world.