books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Books With a Permanent Place on My Bookshelf

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

I have always been a reader, and my bookshelves are constantly in a state of overflowing. However, these are a few of my top choice reads that will always have a place in my home. From fantasy to classics to graphic novels these are some of my favorite stories of all time.

Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

A work of fiction by Garth Stein, this book follows the life of a man through the eyes of his pet dog. While it may sound like a strange, or even goofy concept, everyone I have suggested this book to has loved it. It’s emotional, funny, and oddly enough it really does make you think about life. This is my go-to recommendation when someone needs something to read, and it’s never leaving my bookshelf (unless someone wants to borrow it).

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

This is by far my favorite young adult fantasy series that I have had the privilege to read. Often times I have a favorite fantasy series of the moment but this one has been at the top of the list for a while, more than earning its place as a permanent resident of my collection. Written by the talented Sarah J. Maas, it follows the story of a teenage girl raised as an assassin. She has to face her worst fears, and enemies, as she tries to navigate a world where she’s not quite sure where she belongs. This series has so many twists and turns that by the end of it, you’ll not be sure how you got there.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

While I’m not normally a historical fiction kind of girl, this book by Markus Zusak earned its place both on my bookshelf and in my heart. Narrated by Death himself, this book explores not only loss, but also survival. Set during the era of the Holocaust, it discusses some very heavy topics, but manages to balance it out in a beautiful way. My only regret is refusing to pick it up when everyone kept recommending it to me years before I finally caved and read it.

Cinder [The Lunar Chronicles] by Marissa Meyer

Okay, I’m not really a science fiction fiction fan either… usually. But this amazing series by Marissa Meyer where fairy tales meet science fiction is absolutely incredible. As a quick overview, you get to meet new versions of Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Snow White set years in the future where there is a whole colony of people on the moon ruled by (of course) an Evil Queen. No spoilers, but they come together in some pretty incredible ways and… Well, just go try it out!

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

For those of you seeking a more realistic but still fictional read, albeit one that will tug on your heartstrings, this might be the book for you. Written by Jennifer Niven, this book explores friendship, mental health, and the adventure of life. Emotional and well-written, I love this book for its characters as well as its story. It’s one of my all time favorite realistic fiction books.

Rachel Rising by Terry Moore

Now, I know a lot of people are either very pro, or very con, graphic novels. But Rachel Rising by Terry Moore came recommended to me by a good friend, and it was more than worth the read (after I put aside the skepticism). It’s a little difficult to explain but there’s witchcraft, demons, coming back to life, and all kinds of other supernatural stuff; all complemented by sassy and vivid characters. I simply had to go out and buy my own copy after I read it.

The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo

I don’t care how old you are, fairy tales are timeless for a reason. This is a short story collection of revamped tales by Leigh Bardugo that managed to dazzle me even at age 20. They never end the way you expect, trust me. I thought I could beat the system and I would always think I had it figured out… and I was always wrong. You get to revisit tales like Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, The Nutcracker, and more, but in such creative new ways.

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

This is my favorite classic read by Charles Dickens. Actually, it’s my favorite classic, period. I have multiple editions of this book, and I am hesitant to loan out any of them. This book follows characters in both London, England and Paris, France during the time of the French Revolution. But, it is more about the individual character’s lives and stories than the overarching history of the time. A story of unconditional love, friendship, family, and sacrifice it is one of my favorite stories that contains some of my absolute favorite characters. If you decide to give it a chance be patient, the first half of the book is confusing until it all comes together in the second half.

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

Can’t decide between reading a book or watching a movie? Both versions of this story are impeccable and it’s always fun to watch a good movie adaptation of your favorite books. Originally written by William Goldman, this is your stereotypical Princess and scoundrel story; only, it’s not. With crazy characters and a unique sense of humor throughout this book, and/or movie, is bound to capture your heart.

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull

If you need a book that is appropriate for younger ages, this is a great fantasy series written by Brandon Mull that is fun to read aloud or solo. While Harry Potter is normally on the top of people’s lists, this is a series that shouldn’t be ignored. With the lead characters being brother and sister, these two get into all kinds of antics that lead to dragons, fairies, magic, and so much more. I am not ashamed to admit that I’m still tempted to go back and reread this book, even if I am an “adult”.