5 Ways to Survive an 8AM

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

8AM classes are probably one of the worst things that can happen to us collegiettes, besides Friday classes of course. No matter how hard you try to manipulate your schedule, you are probably going to have at least one 8 AM during your college career. I have had the unfortunate pleasure of attending an 8 AM class for the past three semesters. I’m happy to say I have finally gotten the swing of things after countless early mornings and yes, even some tears.  Now, I’m not going to lie and say it’s easy, but there are some ways to make the whole 8AM thing go smoothly.

1.     Buddy System: This is the #1 trick in making sure you not only get to class on time, but also actually go to class.  Find a roommate or friend who is willing to take the class with you. Now, this might take a little convincing, but you are desperate and will stop at nothing to get an 8AM buddy. This way you have someone to make sure you wake up, actually get out of bed, and provide some company on the walk/ride to class.

2.     Prepare for the Day at Night: Pick out an outfit, pack your bag and make your lunch the night before your 8AM. This way you can press snooze an extra time in the morning without worrying about being late to class.

3.     Alarm Selection: I believe the sound you wake up to in the morning sets your mood for the entire day. If your alarm makes you want to kick puppies, you’re probably going to be in a lousy mood all day. I would suggest switching your alarm every once in a while until you find one you like, but is also effective in waking you up. 

4.     Cool Gel Eye Mask: This one is gold! These eye masks are to be stored in the fridge so the gel can get cold and offer an incredible cool, soothing sensation when you wear them. Put this cold baby on after you have gotten yourself out of bed and you will be instantly woken up! These masks are inexpensive and you can purchase them almost anywhere. I got mine at T.J. Maxx for only $3.99!

5.     Reward Yourself: The real world is nearing and waking up before 8AM will no longer be an accomplishment, rather it will be the norm. Until then, you go ahead and reward yourself for doing the unimaginable. My personal favorite rewards are a Starbucks drink, an unhealthy breakfast sandwich, and/or a nap later on in the day. 

Alex Puzzolo is a junior at Central Michigan University. She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations and minoring in Leadership. She is an active member in her sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma, by holding Executive Board positions. Alex is a Co-founder of the Central Michigan University chapter of Her Campus. She is from Mundelein, IL and loves to travel. She has been to multiple countries and just recently completed an internship in Ireland. An interesting fact about Alex is that she has worked in a jewelery store for the past two years and is certified member of the Gemology Institute of America.