jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

5 Things my Parents Taught Me when I was Little that I still Live by Today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

There’s no doubt that I gave my parents gray hair growing up.  To be honest, I was a little shit. Even though you guys think that I never listened to you guys growing up, you have taught me lessons that have stuck with me into adulthood.  I wouldn’t be the person I am today without you.

Treat others how you want to be treated

Growing up, when my mom threw birthday parties for me or my sister, she was the type of person to invite both my friends and their siblings (or sometimes even everyone from class) to the party so no one feel left out.  My dad attended every one of my cross country races, even though watching cross country is like watching paint dry.  Thinking about others feeling wasn’t even a thought, it was just the way things were.

They also taught me “if you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything at all.”  While I feel like these cliches are common lessons people teach their children, what they fail to do is emphasize them even as their children grow up.  I’ve noticed that while many people don’t say mean comments to other’s faces, they speak poorly behind their backs. I’m thankful my parents stressed this value, even as I got older.  I am now confident in myself enough that I know when to walk away from gossip, even if that means that I become a target.  My parents taught me to avoid the “mean girls.”

The power of education

In first grade, I was probably one of the only kids in my class that didn’t know how to read.  I mean, my parents were reading me bedtime stories every night, why would I need/want to learn?  Of course, that didn’t fly with my parents. We ended up putting what felt like hours aside for me to read out loud with my dad.  My mom also wanted to help and became involved with the accelerated reading program at my school.  

Fast forward to high school.  I resented my parents because they were always on me about grades and studying.  But when I got my full-tuition scholarship, I don’t think I have ever been more grateful for that initial push. Because of it, I am now an extremely driven individual, a self-starter and believe that I can do anything I put my mind to.  As my mom always says, “the world is my oyster.”  

Never settle

Like any relationship, my parents’ isn’t perfect.  However, they put their differences aside and make things work.  They’ve been together for 40-some years, yet my dad brings home flowers for my mom every single week.  I won’t settle until I find someone who values me the way my parents value each other.

You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you meet your prince

I can’t tell you how many times my mom has said this to me when she’s held me while I cried over stupid boys.  Thank you mom, for teaching me my worth and teaching me to not waste my tears on guys who aren’t worth it. Now I just make boys cry. ;)

People will come and go but you’ll always have your family

I’ve made so many friends throughout my life who have barely even stayed a year.  However, you guys have taught me that family is forever. Thank you for raising an amazing family.  Thank you for the lessons you have taught me. And thank you for continuing to teach me every day. I love you both.

Hi there! My name is Kara and I am originally from Freeland, Michigan, a tiny town in the Mid-Michigan area. I am a junior here at Central Michigan University and I am pursuing a degree in Advertising and Multi-Media Design. I have a passion for art, fashion, and music so I hope to one day work in one of these industries. My dream is to live in Chicago or New York! On campus, I am involved with the Honors Program, Advertising Student Development Forum (ASDF), the Beta Phi chapter of the Delta Phi Epsilon sorority, and am now serving as the co-correspondent and editor-in-chief of the C-Mich chapter of Her Campus. I am excited to take on this role and be working with our team throughout this journey! I absolutely love Her Campus and everything that it stands for. It is not only important to empower women, but important to empower people of all sexualities, genders, races, religious beliefs, etc. A fun fact about me is that I love to roller blade and I spent over a month in Thailand this past summer!