2012 Fall Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

The best week of the year has finally arrived! And it is not spring break, Halloween or even Christmas, any guesses? Get excited for NYC Fall Fashion Week! The many designers and socialites have been preparing for this week since well, last FFW. They will be having their designer panties in a knot for as they frantically obsess over new and used fabulous looks for this fall. Like many of you, I unfortunately am not a socialite made of money but still love the looks that catwalk across the runway. Luckily for us, this years fall trends happen to mix with last year’s fall trends. Let’s see what these new trends are all about and hopefully find a few that we can manage to keep in our closets!

First things first, here are the recaps of last year’s trends just to get the juices flowing and your wardrobe mentally prepared in your head.

1. Color Blocking
According to Harpers Bazaar, the must haves of 2011 fall fashions consisted of bright and bold color blocking, making every outfit stand out in the crowd.
2. Furs
Another big trend were the psychedelic furs, the brighter the better in this case. Now, I’m all about saving the animals, but these hot commodities would make those animals proud to have their fur turned into a breathtaking pop of color for your wardrobe.

My personal favorite from last fall was all about the ‘60s; big polka dots, bold graphic prints and double-breasted pea coats were all the rage just a short year ago.

Now, for what you have all been waiting for, 2012 Fall Fashion Trends coming to you right off the runway in NYC.
1. Black and Navy
For all of you readers who are Ms. Matchy-Matchy the times have changed. The “IT” colors of this fall are black and navy, together! Pick those jaws up off the floor because those genius designers finally came to their senses and picked the perfect color duo that fits right into this years trends.

2. Color Blocking
Here’s a bonus for us! Color blocking may be here to stay! Once again it makes it on the list for a second year in a row for this fall.
3. Ombre
Another miraculous discovering from designers that started with hair, moved to nails, and has finally made it to apparel, is the Ombré look. This is probably one of the most genius trends that has ever been discovered!
4. Velvet
Another trend that our grandma’s knew something about 20 years ago is velvet. Yes, that’s right, velvet is back. The days of assuming velvet is for old ladies and music teachers are over. Time to take the plunge and prepare yourself for a velvet take over at least for the next few months.
5. Sweaters
What’s better than these fall fashions? COMFORTABLE fall fashions! Now we can stay trendy but still comfortable in these warm and cozy oversized sweaters.
6. Animal/Reptile Prints
No surprise here to say that animal print is once again making its way back into fall trends, however, there is a twist. Some designers have decided to add in reptile prints, instead of just cheetah and zebra it seems about time to mix it up!
7. Bohemian Look
As I said before, 2011 trends did consist of ‘60s styles but lucky for us flower children, this years ‘60s style takes a minor tweak headed for a more bohemian look. .
8. Leather
Leather is a staple in many wardrobes because of its versatile ability to dress it up or dress it down and perfect for fall.

The designer, Tory Burch, showed off her collection for all to see and awe over. After talking with a writer from Harper’s, Tory explained her collection this year to be “sweet-yet-sexy” and explains the story behind her collection by calling it, “a prim and proper girl who falls for the wrong guy in a hotel.” This twist of a love story explains her new collection to a “T.” She continually manages to create a simple collection but always with an added twist.

So now as you are probably standing in front of your closet tempted to toss away every garment of clothing, hold off just one more minute! Let’s see what we can save. Thankfully for us, half broke college girls, the fashion gods were kind to us by repeating many similar trends from last fall. The list consists of color blocking, leather, animal print and of course the never dull ‘60s era style.

Hopefully now you will be able to pick apart your wardrobe and show off your style on campus or wherever your heart desires. Remember, style isn’t just about the clothing that is a hot trend this season. Your style shows through your personality by the clothing that you wear. So rock those fabulous trends but always add a touch of yourself to them too!

Annie is a junior at Central Michigan University from Plymouth, Mi.  She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations with a minor in Leadership.  Annie is an active member in her sorority Phi Sigma Sigma holding numerous positions within the chapter.  She has a love for travel, food and pets and looks forward to an internship abroad Summer 2013.  Annie loves writing for Her Campus and cannot wait to see this chapter grow to be such a great success! :)  
Alex Puzzolo is a junior at Central Michigan University. She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations and minoring in Leadership. She is an active member in her sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma, by holding Executive Board positions. Alex is a Co-founder of the Central Michigan University chapter of Her Campus. She is from Mundelein, IL and loves to travel. She has been to multiple countries and just recently completed an internship in Ireland. An interesting fact about Alex is that she has worked in a jewelery store for the past two years and is certified member of the Gemology Institute of America.