10 Things I learned from Visiting a Developing Country

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

This past summer, I was so blessed to have had the opportunity to travel to Thailand for a whole month.  This was my first time ever traveling outside of the country (and I was also traveling by myself) so I had no idea what to expect.  Of course, I read every travel blog there was from people that have traveled to Thailand and read tons of books, but that’s nothing compared to experiencing the country and culture firsthand.  

What many people may not realize is that Thailand is still a developing country.  When I first arrived in Chiang Mai (a city in Northern Thailand), I didn’t necessarily realize this.  Of course there was that initial culture shock, getting off the plane and being ushered into a red truck.*  But the city was relatively modern and is home to one of Thailand’s biggest universities, Chiang Mai University.  The mountains, the endless amount of Pad Thai, and the beautiful temples make this city a hot tourist spot.  However, I became more than a tourist during my trip.

Photo Courtesy of Wikipedia

Since I was studying at the University, I had to wear my first ever school uniform.  This of course draws a lot more attention to yourself in Thailand, especially when you’re 5’9 and blonde.  Of course locals were curious, and I actually even made friends with a bunch of them! I learned so much from every individual I met on my trip, and there’s not a day that goes by that I don’t think about them and begin to miss this beautiful country.

Photo Courtesy of Kara Dobulis 

This trip was honestly a life-changing experience.  Not only did I learn about life halfway across the globe, but I learned so much about myself in the process.  Here are some of the most important lessons from the trip:

Be Humble, Be Kind, and be Happy

They don’t call it “The Land of Smiles” for nothing.

Photo Courtesy of Kara Dobulis​

Family Over Everything

During my stay, I was able to live with three different families that spoke little to no English  during some overnight homestays in very rural parts of Thailand. Watching the families interact with one another was absolutely beautiful.  They have no distractions like cell phones or TV’s– they have to actually talk to each other.  It really made me miss my family and want to put more effort into my relationships.

Money Can’t Buy Happiness

During one of my homestays, I remember playing with popsicle sticks for over an hour with these little kids and having an absolute blast watching their faces light up.  They may not have a lot, but they sure as hell have a lot of love to give. These kids taught me so much and will always have a place in my heart.

Photo Courtesy of Kara Dobulis

Locus of Control: Both Perspectives

Even though their economy isn’t the best, I saw almost no homelessness.  Thai people are extremely entrepreneurial and take control of their situation– even if it’s just a pop-up stand along the street.  However, many children do not have this opportunity or the chance to attend post-secondary school because they live in rural areas and not the city. Because of this, I don’t know how I stand on the destiny vs. free will debate anymore.  

American Food doesn’t Compare to Thai Food

I’ll always miss Mama Thai– the woman who owned her own business as a hairdresser, fortune reader, and smoothie maker (all as one).  One dollar for a smoothie as big as my head… Amazing.

Photo Courtesy of Kara Dobulis

I want to Adopt

Most developing countries are very overpopulated.  There was an entire orphanage dedicated to children with HIV/Aids.  I hope that one day I can give one of them a good home. Did I mention that I loved those kids?!

Keep an Open Mind

In a foreign country, remember not to compare everything to your home country.  Respect the culture and try to immerse yourself completely. One of my favorite memories was getting to try on traditional ceremonial wear and learning traditional dances. Don’t say no to any opportunity– well, unless it’s trying cricket (they’re rather crunchy).

Don’t be Afraid of the Unknown

One of the first things I noticed when I arrived was that everyone drives like maniacs.  I was shocked when I would see adults with babies strapped onto their backs or toddlers between their legs, riding on Mopeds.  While some people think this might be reckless, it’s actually because of their spirituality– they aren’t afraid of death.

There is no Right or Wrong Answer in Religion

There is no real wrong answer in Buddhism.  Be kind, be just, and love one another. Everyone is on their own spiritual path.  

Photo Courtesy of Kitt Sharp

Live in the Moment

Mai Pen Rai.* Be mindful. Be present. Live for today.

Photo Courtesy of Kara Dobulis

*A Red Truck is a form of Taxi Transportation in Thailand

*Mai Pen Rai: “Let it Go” / “Don’t worry about it”

Hi there! My name is Kara and I am originally from Freeland, Michigan, a tiny town in the Mid-Michigan area. I am a junior here at Central Michigan University and I am pursuing a degree in Advertising and Multi-Media Design. I have a passion for art, fashion, and music so I hope to one day work in one of these industries. My dream is to live in Chicago or New York! On campus, I am involved with the Honors Program, Advertising Student Development Forum (ASDF), the Beta Phi chapter of the Delta Phi Epsilon sorority, and am now serving as the co-correspondent and editor-in-chief of the C-Mich chapter of Her Campus. I am excited to take on this role and be working with our team throughout this journey! I absolutely love Her Campus and everything that it stands for. It is not only important to empower women, but important to empower people of all sexualities, genders, races, religious beliefs, etc. A fun fact about me is that I love to roller blade and I spent over a month in Thailand this past summer!