BYU Ad Lab students win top professional award

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BYU chapter.

The BYU Ad Lab became the first student run-agency to win one of the advertising industry’s top awards last week from One Show Entertainment.

Four students along with Ad Lab director Jeff Sheets accepted The Bronze Pencil Award in Los Angeles. The group won the award for a music video they produced last summer at BYU’s world-record-setting water balloon fight.

The students worked with the McCann Erickson ad agency to produce the video for their client Kyle Andrews. The Ad Lab students pitched the idea to film it during the water balloon fight and McCann’s creative team loved the idea.

“The One Show is a prestigious creative awards show,” said Jordan Wheeler, McCann account executive, in a BYU news release. “For students to win is pretty ridiculous. For these [BYU] kids to come out of school with a One Show Pencil from the professional category is amazing. Winning a professional Pencil is a big deal.”

The Ad Lab filmed the music video on July 23, 2010 while 4,000 BYU students threw more than 120,000 water balloons to break the record for the world’s largest water balloon fight.

“This is separating our students as being literally the best in the industry,” Sheets said in the news release. “While still being students, they are showing that their work is as good and as valid as anything done in the industry.”

Photo courtesy of BYU Photo.