Life > Experiences

Your New Favorite Animal- the Capybara

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

We all know that my overall preference is possums. Last year I accidentally hit one with my car and I still think about it sometimes when I need to feel sad. Also, I identify with them because I, too, often scream at my own ass.

But there’s a furry little friend who deserves a bit more attention than he’s getting right now. I’m talking about the capybara.

He’s a super cool dude. He may just look like a big ol’ beaver, but he’s actually so much more. For example, he’s great at making friends.

He’s also very loving toward members of his own species.

He is a BIG CHONKY BOY.

He looks hilarious from the front.

He enjoys a nice dip in the pool.

He’s very stylish. New York Fashion Week who?

But he CAN and WILL bite you if you get too close. Capybaras are very territorial and have what are scientifically called “Big Ol’ Chompin’ Teeth.”

So maybe don’t get one as a pet, but you can still look at them from afar.

In conclusion, capybaras are very important and should be treated as such. Thank you.

Kait Wilbur is an aggressively optimistic individual obsessed with sitcoms, indie music, and pop culture in general. She hails from Manito, a rural wasteland in Illinois so small and devoid of life that she took up writing to amuse herself. Kait goes to Butler University to prepare for a career in advertising, but all she really wants to do is talk about TV for a living. You can find her at any given moment with her earbuds in pretending to do homework but actually looking at surrealist memes.