Tea Time: “We’re Talking”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

Hello, love birds. Love is in the air, but so is the beautiful and crisp smell of some truth tea. That’s right, it’s time for Tea Time™ : Valentine’s Day Edition.

Everybody knows that the only thing I love more than Tea Time Tuesday™ is every love story on the planet. I am not one of those single people who hate on Valentine’s Day because they are lonely crabs. In fact, I have only called it a consumerist holiday once this year. That being said, there is one thing I am constantly hearing this year that just makes me irate: “We’re talking.”

What the hell does “we’re talking” even mean? Are y’all commited or not? “We’re talking” seems like the type of loose commitment where if ya’ll talk to other people the other will get upset, but at the same time, has no right to be upset. “We’re talking” seems like something people say when they don’t want to be the first person to DTR (define the relationship). “We’re talking” seems like you’re just confused. “We’re talking” seems like you want somebody to put in significant other work without giving them significant other benefits/credit. I will never be “just talking”.

This Valentine’s Day think about your signifcant other and the label you give them. If you’re “just talking” evaluate whether or not you are happy with that lable, happy with what it does, and does not, give you. If you are, more power to you. However, if you aren’t, if you even think you aren’t, I urge you to talk (pun intended) with your partner, and decide together what is really going on in the relationship, or lack thereof. In my experience, talking with my friends, I have realized that the lable of “just talking” often leaves at least one party in the relationship confused about where they both stand, what the expectations are, and what limitations there are, if there are any.  Make this Valentine’s Day a non-confusing one and DTR (discuss the relationship).

This concludes this week’s Tea Time™ . This tea was brought to you by your local future dog lady.

“When one is thirsty for the truth, the tea brews itself.“

Jazmine Bowens is a senior at Butler University. She is a Psychology major with a minor in Neuroscience and the Campus Corespondent for Butler University's Her Campus chapter. When she isn't in class, she's writing poetry, reading romance novels, or hanging out with her friends. Jazmine hopes to one day become an environmental lawyer and a published novelist.