This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

I have been a dedicated vegatarian for over two years, but just within the past two months have I turned vegan.  Being vegan has taught me that all of my vegetarian problems were miniscule to the hell that veganism had waiting for me.  In this article I will highlight the five worst things about being vegan.

1. The stereotypes

Everybody hates you as soon as you mention being vegan. They think you are an asshole whose only goal in life is to convert them. It is a very hostile lifestyle, that is for sure.

2) You are the sterotypes

When I first became vegan I swore that I would never be the stereotypical vegan with their crystal necklaces, consipiracy theories, and sense of moral purity. And yet here I am actively being/doing all of those things.

3) The cost of living

This shit is expensive. Vegan food is usually $1-3 more than non-vegan food, and it just so happens I am very broke.

4) Lack of food

There is never food available. 99% of the time the vegan options are a head of lettuce and two grapes (and that is if you’re lucky). The bright side of this L is that you learn how to make pre-planned to-go meals for any/all events.

5) Trust issues

I never believe somebody when they say the food is vegan. This is especially true when the food tastes really good. I know I am being ridiculous, but before I eat anything I usually give the person a quick lesson in veganism, demand to see the ingrediants list, and/or claim to be lactose intolerant.

Honestly, I realize a lot of people don’t like me because of the lifestyle/dietary choices I have decided to pursue. However, after writing this list I kinda get why they hate me.  So hate on my friends.

Sidenote – Go vegan.

Jazmine Bowens is a senior at Butler University. She is a Psychology major with a minor in Neuroscience and the Campus Corespondent for Butler University's Her Campus chapter. When she isn't in class, she's writing poetry, reading romance novels, or hanging out with her friends. Jazmine hopes to one day become an environmental lawyer and a published novelist.