The Enneagram Types as Butler Majors You’re Still Unclear About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

Do you know your Enneagram type? If not, it’s okay. Do you know what you’ll be studying at college? That’s slightly more pressing, but still DEFINITELY okay. I’m sure you’ve evaluated the merits of widely-known degree programs like Psychology, Finance, and Political Science. You’ve contemplated Astrophysics or Education, and have probably been warned against English and Communication. (Only a crazy person would want to write for a living. Like me. Please send help.)

But there’s no need to panic! The core of your personality, your basic motivations, what drives you, may guide you to a major at Butler that’s a little harder to explain to your grandparents than Marketing. First, figure out what Ennea-type you feel closest to. Then, check out these lesser-known Butler majors that might just be a perfect fit for you.

Type  1- International Studies

If you’re a type 1, you may have been labeled a perfectionist. But you know that part of your nature comes from a desire to be a genuinely good person and make the world a better place.

You can channel your save-the-world energy into learning about global economic, political, and religious climates, learning languages, and exploring international perspectives on universal issues. Plus, juggling so many disciplines and presenting your academic work will make your little success-oriented heart sing.

Type 2- Arts Administration

Arts Administration majors learn a lot about the nonprofit sector (perfect for a type 2’s big heart), and specifically the programming and fundraising strategies it takes to keep organizations running. Other people relying on your work will keep you type 2s feeling needed, fulfilled, and motivated.

Plus, selecting an emphasis in music, dance, theater, or a combined general means you still get to do something you are personally passionate about. (Which you really need to practice doing, my sweet selfless bean!)

Type 3- Entrepreneurship and Innovation

If you’re a 3, you’re all about making that deal and checking that task off on your to-do list (which was written in different color-coded pens, of course.)

A 3’s entrepreneurial spirit, motivated by accomplishment, will thrive in this hidden gem of the Lacy School of Business. You’ll get experience running your own business, learning how to take calculated risks and dream up a vision to thrive in the market. If there’s anyone made for it, it’s a go-getting, world-conquering 3!

Type 4- Critical Communication and Media Studies

As a type 4, you’re drawn to a lot of pretty, polished things, and your desire to be unique might have given you an interest in the media and celebrity culture. But you also empathize with the people who lack representation or may be harmed by the effects of pop culture.

In this College of Communication major, you’ll analyze and critique cultural narratives present in film and television, flexing your creative muscles with lots and lots of writing. You might even appreciate the creative discipline of film a bit more too.

Type 5- Science, Technology and Society

A type 5’s absolute favorite thing is acquiring knowledge— learning how things work, brainstorming solutions to problems, really getting their hands dirty with information.

With this interdisciplinary major, 5s can take a deep dive into learning about what inspires advances in biology, chemistry, physics and tech. Knowing about this specialized but expansive area of study could help prepare you for medical school, law school, or anywhere else a 5 might want to bring their hungry brain to conquer.

Type 6- Communication Sciences and Disorders

A 6’s loyalty helps them become awesome friends and devoted helpers. That’s what might help them develop an amazing bedside manner as speech therapists or audiologists, two possible career paths for CSD majors. Classes filled with biological concepts appeal to a 6’s sense of logic and need for structure, plus interaction with community members fulfills a strong, innate desire for friendship and human connection.

Type 7- Exploratory Studies

Sevens are looking for ALL OF THE EXPERIENCES and may have trouble deciding between 10-15 career paths they want to pursue. Luckily, being undeclared at Butler isn’t just a status— it’s a whole program!

You’ll take a class filled with info about majors in every college, job-shadowing, interviews, and personal value and interest investigation so you can figure out which of your dreams speaks to you most. (Unfortunately, you can’t graduate with a degree in Exploratory Studies, so eventually you’ll have to pick.)

Type 8- Peace and Conflict Studies

Type 8s are no strangers to conflict. That doesn’t necessarily mean they enjoy starting fights, but that they’re passionate about their beliefs and are refreshingly assertive in advocating for them. (But nobody wants to be on the other side of that argument.)

8s can engage with their strong sense of justice to learn about the international structures facilitating peace and instigating global conflict. PCS majors can go on to become civil advocates– and who makes a better advocate than an 8?

Type 9- Human Communication and Organizational Leadership

For any Enneagram-literate individual skimming this article, these last two might be confusing. How is a bold, confident 8 not in a leadership-related major and a peacemaking 9 not in the peace and conflict major? Application, my dear boy.

You see, 9s are masters of mediation. Achieving harmony in large or small groups. Understanding people to help them work together. And that’s what Human Communication and Organizational Leadership (also known as “OrgComm”) is all about.

You’ll learn about effective speech, forming and maintaining relationships, and figuring out your leadership style. You may seem reserved, but you have what it takes to influence people in all the right ways.

Good luck this year!

Kait Wilbur is an aggressively optimistic individual obsessed with sitcoms, indie music, and pop culture in general. She hails from Manito, a rural wasteland in Illinois so small and devoid of life that she took up writing to amuse herself. Kait goes to Butler University to prepare for a career in advertising, but all she really wants to do is talk about TV for a living. You can find her at any given moment with her earbuds in pretending to do homework but actually looking at surrealist memes.
Rae Stoffel is a senior at Butler University studying Journalism with a double minor in French and strategic communications. With an affinity for iced coffee, blazers, and the worlds worst jokes, she calls herself a witty optomistic, which can be heavily reflected in her writing. Stoffel is a Chicago native looking forward to returning to the windy city post graduation.