Style > Beauty

Why You Should Get Rid of Coconut Oil From Your Skincare Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

There are plenty of products/treatments that you should never use on your skin. But there is one oil in particular, that is always on everyone’s “must haves” list, they should actually make your list of “don’ts.”

Shockingly, the “miracle oil,” also known as coconut oil, is extremely bad for your skin.

Coconut oil acts as a wax on the skin instead of a pure plant oil; with that being said, the oil forms a barrier on your skin, which causes blocked and suffocated pores, which obviously, nobody wants.

Thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people use coconut oil as their miracle makeup remover, although it is better to be used as a remover because it will be rinsed off, it is still not good for the skin. Even though the coconut oil gets rinsed off when used as a makeup remover, it still leaves a film on the skin that causes blocked pores.

There are plenty of other makeup removing products, my favorite being the classic Neutrogena Makeup Remover Wipes, to replace coconut oil from your skincare routine and do the job even better.

If you’re used to coconut oil in your skincare routine and feel as though it may be hard to replace, there are tons of other natural oils to use, such as almond oil, neem oil and shea butter, to name a few.

So girl, don’t worry, there are plenty of options for you to replace that coconut oil!

Sarina LoJacono is currently a senior at the University at Buffalo, majoring in communication. Besides attending school, she is also a manager at Alex and Ani Buffalo. She was born and raised in Buffalo, New York and loves everything the city has to offer. She is obsessed with everything and anything that has to do with fashion and beauty and aspires to be working in the industry one day. In her free time you can find her going out with friends, shopping or watching 10 Things I Hate About You over and over again. She is excited to take on whatever life has to offer!