This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Committing to getting your first tattoo can seem intimidating, but as long as you’re prepared, it’s really no big deal! Here’s 5 things to know before you get your first tattoo!

1: Research good tattoo shops in your area! Since tattoos are a permanent investment, you really want to make sure you’re going to a place that’s experienced, and is known to keep everything sterile!

2: Be prepared to tip your artist! Think of it like a trip to the hairdresser – your artists are taking the time to prepare a design for you and make sure you end up with the outcome that you want. They always deserve a tip! 

3: Make sure you eat before your appointment! Especially if you’re getting a tattoo done that will take a while or one that’s in a painful spot, you want to make sure that you eat enough beforehand so you don’t get lightheaded or dizzy! It also might be helpful to bring a snack and sugary drink!

4: Get your aftercare supplies ready! You’re going to need to wash your tattoo fairly soon after getting it done, so make sure you have some plain soap and moisturizer ready! Different tattoo artists suggest different products, so you may want to ask them what they recommend first. Also, your tattoo may be sore (especially the day after it’s done), so I found it really helpful to have an ice pack handy.

5: The pain is worth it! The pain is often the part about a tattoo that seems to be the most intimidating. Just remember that the pain only lasts for a short amount of time, and you’ll end up with a beautiful tattoo as a result!

Good luck!