Career > Work

The Perfect Job to Have in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

It is exhausting trying to find a job that will fit into your schedule while being a full time college student.  I tried to be a server at a restaurant this past summer and quickly realized that it was not for me.  I found myself wondering how I would manage my rigid hours at the restaurant while going to classes, doing homework, and studying.  The job in and of itself stressed me out, so I decided to quit.  With all of the savings I had from the restaurant, I went jobless for the fall semester.  Although I started running out of money and by this semester, I knew I needed a new job.  

I tried to apply to two grocery stores but unfortunately, they both rejected me.  Although shortly after the rejection, I was actually glad because customer service is the worst.  My social anxiety often gets the best of me, so I decided to take a different route.

My two roommates are both nannies and would always tell me that I should pick up a consistent nannying gig.  They both found their nannying jobs on www.NannyLane.com.  If you haven’t heard of it already, Nanny Lane is a website where parents can find nannies and nannies can find parents.  In my case, I set up a profile and went searching right away!  This website is amazing because you can adjust your profile and searches to certain ages, full-time or part-time, your desired pay, and check off other duties you would be willing to do.  This website and nannying itself are very conducive to college students’ schedules.

I was able to secure a consistent nannying gig from Nanny Lane, and I love it!  It truly is the perfect job for me because 1) I love children and 2) I would much rather work with children than adults.  Working with children is extremely rewarding, you get to watch them grow right before your eyes.  You can also mold them, teaching them from right and wrong.  I am entertained very easily, so getting paid to play with their toys with them is my ideal job scenario.

Depending on the situation, the hours with nannying are usually flexible.  It is not like working for a large corporation where you have a rigid schedule, afraid of asking for a day off or asking to leave early for an appointment.  The anxiety that comes with working for a big entity is nonexistent in nannying (unless you’re working for an agency).

Another huge benefit to being a nanny is that most nannies do not get taxed.  Parents will either pay with cash, Venmo, Zelle, etc.  Cash would be the best case scenario due to Venmo being more restrictive with the IRS on their backs.  You can also split up your cash at the end of the week and put half in the bank and half in a safe place for saving (or vise versa).

I would highly recommend nannying for any college students out there who are struggling.  The connection you form to the child and the family is wonderful, and it is such a memorable experience!  Not to say it cannot be stressful at times, but it is infinitely better than working for a large corporation.  You are respected more as an employee, which is a huge factor for me.  The great thing about nannying too is that you can always pick up more gigs and work for multiple families.  The excitement on the face of the child you nanny for when you arrive is one of the best parts of the job.

Here are some links if you are interested in nannying!

Nanny Lane: www.NannyLane.com

Care.com: https://www.care.com

Katie is the president and chapter correspondent of the Her Campus Buffalo chapter and a junior at the University at Buffalo studying psychology and political science. She loves to write about current events, politics, how to manage college life, and much more! She plans on using this platform to speak her mind and make a difference at UB.