Summer to Fall: How to save your wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Summer to Fall: How to Save Your Wardrobe

It’s that time of year again, the air is colder, the sun is dimmer and summer is slowly becoming a warm memory. Our iced-lattes are now hot chocolate, and warm macchiato-s, and that summer wardrobe we had just finished completing is completely useless in the face of harsh Buffalo winters. While shopaholics everywhere might look forward to this change in weather as a chance to go shopping, many college students can do no more than longingly stare at shop windows and pray that their lack of cute winter attire doesn’t leave them looking fashion clueless. Being a frugal shopper, and a broke college student, I took to my closet to salvage my summer clothing and turn it into chic fall wear! I’ve brought you guys my four go to items to make your summer attire a fall must have! Prepare to keep your wallet happyJ

1)     LEGGINGS/TIGHTS

This is an essential must-have in any girl’s closet!! Those shorts you wore every day during the summer and that skirt you splurged on because it was “just too cute!” can be salvaged and this is the answer! Put on thick leggings or tights beneath your shorts, skirts, or dresses to transform them from summer to fall in no time. Paired with your favorite white tee or cardigan, you can make your look appear to have been made for this chilly season.

2)     Layers, Layers, Layers!(AKA Long sleeved shirts)

Just as in real estate the key to a good sell is location, location, location, the key to a cute fall outfit that requires no new clothing at all is: Layers! Remember that crop top you purchased because it made you feel cute and cool in the summer heat and you wished you could wear it year round? Now you can, grab a long sleeved shirt from your closet and wear it underneath. If you have a long sleeved crop top grab a shirt with a collar and put it on underneath your crop top. If you have a halter crop top, and you have a long sleeved shirt that goes off the shoulder, put the off the shoulder shirt underneath the crop top, throw on a scarf and you’re cute to go!

3)     Floppy Hats

Now I know this isn’t a fix for anything in your wardrobe, however it is a chance to use your wardrobe! Floppy hats are perfect for hot summer days, acting as a pretty sunscreen and allowing you to not have to cover up your face in less than attractive ways so as to avoid the sun. However once fall comes around it seems weird to keep wearing them, and all I’ve got to ask is WHY?! Floppy hats are cute ALL THE TIME! Paired with a trench coat and knee high boots you will be the definition of classy.

4)     CARDIGANS!

This is my absolute favorite way to take a summer piece and instantly make it a fall item in less than 5 seconds. I tend to buy a lot of sleeveless shirts, and dresses and so when cold weather rolls around half of my wardrobe is utterly un-wearable. Simply taking a cardigan and pairing it with a shirt (whether it be collared or a muscle tee) can instantly not only make your outfit cozy but also stylish. Also wearing a cardigan can eliminate the need for bulky jackets and you can instead just layer it with a light coat! Easy as 1,2,3!

Source: http://www.freckled-fox.com/search?updated-max=2013-07-10T10:30:00-07:00&max-results=6&start=126&by-date=false

Well that’s it ladies! It really doesn’t take much to transform your look and make you appear fashion savvy in very little time. Always use your basics to elevate your look and you’ll never have to give up your favorites. Next time you go shopping remember to notice not only if your item is cute but if it can be transformed. The best wardrobe will not be the most full but the most versatile. Happy outfit hunting ;)

Saron Berhe is a senior Psychology major and Art minor with a concentration in Photography at the University at Buffalo. She was born in East Africa but grew up in Rochester,NY, however she still considers Eritrea to be home. She plans to continue on to graduate school for further education in Psychology and hopes to one day be able to make mental health care affordable to all who are in need. Saron is a coffee addict who enjoys Netflix binge watching, photography , and watching soccer and football. This African queen is set on changing on the world.
Nabila Ismail is a first year Pharmacy Student at the University at Buffalo in New York from Saratoga, NY. Outside of her science pursuits, she enjoys fashion, writing, and traveling. She just came back from spending a whole summer in Italy as a nanny & English Tutor. She's very excited to have Her Campus at her school this year!