This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Being in the middle of a pandemic is not how anyone wants to spend their college years, but this is the reality. Feeling burned out and alone is very common amongst college students and no sports games, online classes and no in person activities definitely is a cause of that. It may seem near impossible to make friends. It’s tricky but there are ways to put yourself out there and meet new people while also being COVID safe! 

Reach out to someone over Zoom

Although you should be paying attention in your Zoom lectures, reaching out to a classmate could lead to something great! You can directly message someone over Zoom, so don’t be afraid to start a conversation, then you have a buddy in class and maybe a friend! 

Bumble BFFS

Many people know Bumble as a dating app, but did you know that it can be used to find friends? Bumble BFFs allow you to find people around you who are looking for new friends. You create a profile and add your hobbies, likes, and dislikes. There’s also an option for you to put your preference on meeting people during COVID, for example, if you prefer to meet someone virtually or socially distanced with masks! 

Socially distanced campus events

A lot of schools and clubs are putting on virtual events or events that practice social distancing and are a great way to meet new people! Some of these events include Netflix Parties, game nights, or paint nights. This is a great way to meet people who go to your school while also staying safe.

Put on a Netflix Party and invite some neighbors

Netflix Party (now called Teleparty) is a great way to enjoy a movie night with other people while also practicing social distancing. If you aren’t familiar with Netflix Party, it’s an app that you can download onto Chrome and when you send someone the link it syncs up the movie you’re watching and allows a chat feature. Now you can have a safe and fun movie screening with friends!

Join a club on campus

Colleges and Universities offer a bunch of different clubs for all types of interests. A lot of clubs have virtual meetings and events that you can attend. Here you can meet a lot of different people that share the same interests as you!

Play some multiplayer games with people

There are a ton of multiplayer games that you can get on your phone or computer and it’s a great time! Games like Among Us, Photo Roulette, Uno, and iMessage games. To find people to play with you, you can join Snapchat group chats with people on your floor or class Facebook groups.

Join class Facebook groups 

Class Facebook groups are awesome for meeting people in your school. You can post your socials and add people as well. Everyone wants to make friends, especially in these hard times. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and take risks, it will be worth it! 

No one wants to go to college in a pandemic but all of the sacrifices you make are worth it. This list is a great starting place to make new friends and keep up with old friends. The top priority is to stay safe and healthy. You can still have fun even in these sucky times! 

Isabella is a Junior at University at Buffalo studying History Education and this is her second year in Her Campus. Her many passions include rainy days, reading, and hot coffee.