This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

About a year ago I came across the podcast on Spotify called Something Was Wrong, hosted by Tiffany Reese.  I learned about her podcast series through another podcast called Crime Junkies, and I’ve been hooked ever since!  This podcast is a true-crime docuseries detailing abusive relationships people have gone through and the life-changing discoveries that came along with them.  I think that it is absolutely vital for people to be aware about the signs of toxic/abusive relationships so they can be on the lookout for the future, whether that be for themselves or other people.  This podcast does just that, not only does Tiffany interview survivors and has them tell their stories, but she also provides supplemental information on signs of abusive relationships, manipulation, gaslighting, and some mental illnesses if it pertains to the story.

Something Was Wrong is a docuseries, therefore each person’s story is divided up into multiple parts.  I really appreciate this aspect of her podcast because it doesn’t just glaze over the nitty gritty details, rather it dives into those details and stresses the importance of them.  As a listener, you become entranced in the stories told and almost feel as if you are being placed right in the scenario.  The podcast talks about abuse from many different points of view, sometimes Tiffany will interview family members or friends of the victim to get their side of the story.  Most of the time people close to the victim will notice behavioral changes, and during the interview they will go into detail about exactly how the victim changed from before meeting the abuser to after.  I believe this is extremely important because oftentimes this behavior can be mistaken for the victim being rude or standoffish, when in reality there is much more at stake.  I like how Tiffany takes the time to interview people outside of, but still close to the situation.  This provides others with resources on signs that someone is in an abusive and/or manipulative relationship, which is necessary in order to get someone out of that situation or have to them be aware of it.

I would highly recommend listening to this podcast because it has had me addicted for quite some time now.  Tiffany will also sometimes go into the psychology of the abuser which I find extremely interesting.  If you are interested in true crime or learning about the aspects and psychology behind abusive relationships and manipulators, this podcast is the perfect one for you.  Something Was Wrong can be found on Spotify, Apple Music, Stitcher, Amazon Music, Pandora, and Google Podcasts.  I will link the podcast website below, along with Tiffany’s social media so you can be up to date!

Something Was Wrong website: https://somethingwaswrong.com/preview/

Tiffany’s Instagram: @lookieboo

Katie is the president and chapter correspondent of the Her Campus Buffalo chapter and a junior at the University at Buffalo studying psychology and political science. She loves to write about current events, politics, how to manage college life, and much more! She plans on using this platform to speak her mind and make a difference at UB.