Picture of GWEM Magazine team with logo.
Photo by Amanda Hart

Q&A With Amanda Hart: Founder of GWEM Magazine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Amanda Hart is the founder and editor-in-chief of GWEM Magazine, which stands for the Global Women’s Empowerment Movement.  Her online magazine is a space for focusing on women’s health issues and women’s sustainability, just to name a few.  GWEM Magazine has published three issues thus far with many more to come!  Check out their website to flip through their online issues covering stories from powerful and influential women.  I had the pleasure of asking Amanda more about her magazine and what her process of founding it was like.  Read through our Q&A below to learn more about GWEM Magazine and the empowering work they have done and are planning to do!

Katie Skoog: What is GWEM Magazine?

Amanda Hart: GWEM Magazine stands for the Global Women’s Empowerment Movement.  GWEM is a digital platform that offers diverse perspectives on sustainability, feminism and equality.  GWEM is a global women’s movement and magazine that highlights women’s sustainability on the global stage, collaboration projects, and women’s health issues.  We aim to be a diverse platform that allows for your dream of the world being a better place to be showcased and shared in a variety of different media.  Our core mission of Empowerment encompasses the quest of creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive space to share intercultural stories and goals.

KS: How did you come about founding GWEM Magazine and what was that process like?

AH: GWEM Magazine is an independent organization that was founded in September of 2020 while I was creating a final project for my virtual study abroad class.  GWEM started as an Experiential Learning Project at the University at Buffalo while being mentored by Dr. Mara Huber.  After graduating from UB I wanted to continue my quest to create a safe space for global feminist conversation, sustainability initiatives and resources.  I continued the project independently and had full support from the Experiential Learning Network to continue my quest of passing on the torch of empowerment by involving students, global guests, change-makers, activists and more.  The process has been ever-changing and has taken nearly two years to iron out.  However, with each issue we are garnering more help and support, which has made the process much easier.  For the first year, all of the graphics, formatting, editing, promoting  interviewing and more was my sole responsibility.  There is a lot more that goes into creating a magazine platform than I had originally anticipated! 

KS: What are your main goals for GWEM Magazine?

AH: GWEM’s mission is in line with the sustainable development goals.  We focus on gender equality, access to quality education and reduced inequalities.  We want to have the general public understand what feminism is as well as be inspired to create their own sustainability initiatives by activating the reader’s activism.  GWEM’s main mission is to share the stories of women worldwide who are doing amazing things for our communities, families and planet!  The ultimate goal would be for our content to never be needed because that would mean that we have achieved equality in society. 

KS: How do you and your staff members work together to make GWEM Magazine what it is today?

AH: Our team currently consists of 7 members who all have different agendas pertaining to Women’s Empowerment and Sustainability.  We work together through a variety of different avenues including constant communication via text and email.  We all meet on our own schedules to stay updated and check in regularly.  It is a system that so far has been working really well.

The GWEM Staff Includes:

• Myself (The Founder and Editor in Chief): My job is to lead our team of editors, provide leads on stories, provide editorials and interviews, do market research, create advertising,  provide guidance, mentor students on projects for GWEM, and manage relationships between organizations and talent Relations.
Picture of founder of GWEM Magazine, Amanda Hart.
Photo by Amanda Hart
  • Hannah Baker (CoFounder and Assistant Editor): Volunteer staff relations, editing, research and communications.  Hannah created the Women’s Internship Study for GWEM and provided a 25-page research paper on why GWEM is needed in the curriculum.  This crowning achievement will be taught on [UB] campus in Spring of 2023.  She also created the Student Interest Form which can be found on our website.
  • Keana Fabian: Social Media Director & Newsletter Editor
  • Bryan Hart: Web Developer & Photographer
  • Hannah Krull: Social Outreach Coordinator, LGBTQIA+ Editor for GWEM/official course instructor for the Women’s Internship Studies class in spring of 2023
  • Kerin Berry: Global Sustainable Foods Editor
  • Tasnia Hoque: Campaign and Events Director 
  • Dr. Mara Huber: Experiential Learning Network Mentor/Student Project Supervisor for Global Collaboration Badges 

KS: What has been your favorite story featured in GWEM Magazine and why?

AH: My favorite story was featured in the second edition of GWEM with Mayoral Candidate India Walton.  After I graduated from UB and wanted to create the content independently, I had to find my own sources, which is actually pretty hard to do when you are first starting out.  At the time, India Walton, the first woman in the history of our city, had won the primaries and was slated to become the next mayor.  Because Ms. Walton had a primary interest in uplifting the part of town I am from, I really wanted to talk to her to get her perspective.  It was my first real experience dealing with a PR team and navigating a guests schedule.  Getting in touch had been nearly impossible as she had been featured in pretty much every major editorial and news station across the country.  I was literally on cloud nine when I got the ok to do a Zoom interview with her!  Hannah Baker and I got to ask her questions about her upbringing and views of empowerment which to this day I still think is pretty cool.  My other favorite Global Interview would have to be with Rhobi Samwelly, a human rights activist that fights against FGM (female genital mutilation) in Tanzania.  She won an award for her documentary, “ In the Name of your Daughter.”  Rhobi really awed and inspired me.

KS: Does GWEM Magazine have any events/initiatives?  What are some upcoming events and which has been your favorite thus far?

AH: GWEM has a lot in store for the future.  Currently, the next edition of our magazine is underway and will be released this July.  

In the past, our organization has been invited to represent University at Buffalo in the University Global Coalition Student Panel which was presented by our Social Media Director Keana Fabian.  We have also been featured in Queer Diagnosis’ Podcast and have had the opportunity to share our work via the Gender Matter’s Blog (the official blog for the Gender Studies Department at UB). 

For future events we are planning a conference series called GWEM x ELN which will kick off in March of 2023.  The series will highlight global guests, local presenters and speakers who talk about sustainability, women’s empowerment and experiential learning projects. 

In Spring of 2023 GWEM will also be an official class at the University at Buffalo called Women’s Internship Studies.  The class will be able to help create the July 2023 Magazine Edition, as well as get the opportunity to interact with GWEM staff, learn more about the sustainable development goals and feminist agendas! 

Every Semester at UB we partner with the Experiential Learning Network and interested students who work on mentored projects for GWEM.  Students complete a project that adds value to GWEM as an organization and in return are able to receive a “Global Collaboration Badge” issued by the University at Buffalo, as well as personalized recommendation letters, networking opportunities and more. 

Our team is always looking for speaking engagements, fundraising opportunities and collaborations with other like-minded organizations!  Currently our Event and Campaign Director Tasnia Hoque, a sophomore student at UB, is doing a great job with connecting us with student organizations and sororities!  We are hoping to create more opportunities for engagement on campus.

KS: What inspired you to start GWEM Magazine?

AH: I was inspired to create GWEM after I had participated in the SUNY Global Commons Virtual Study Abroad Class.  During the heat of the pandemic most things had been closed down.  I had never had the opportunity to travel abroad.  I have always wanted to travel the world and have the opportunities to meet new people.  While participating, we were paired with an NGO that matched our skill sets.  I had the opportunity to be partnered with PRIHEAMC, a medical establishment in Oyo State, Nigeria.  While talking to staff and representatives from the organization I pulled together PriHEMAC Magazine, which featured SUNY Global Common Students articles, COVID-19 information, a Q&A for the head doctor, among other important articles.  The magazine was received very well and is still prized by the organization two years later.

After working on this magazine, I knew that I wanted to take my talent and create something that would continue to help other people.  Creating GWEM not only became my outlet to networking and creating new friendships, but it helped me to see the value that I can give to the world. 

KS: What was the process of making this online magazine and how do you think it contributes to the art of journalism?

AH: Making the magazine is one of the most challenging and important parts of my role.  I create the templates by hand, format all of the interviews and contributions and ultimately have to make sure it flows well.  By having a safe space for conversation relating to feminism and sustainability we allow ourselves to speak openly.  Creating the magazine I feel was a way to highlight women and minorities who are seeking equality which I feel journalism has gotten away from.  I do not feel it is my responsibility to break every new story to our readers.  Our journalism comes from a place of trying to get to the root of how to have a positive impact on society while also advocating for diversity, equity and inclusion for all. 

KS: How does GWEM Magazine uplift the voices of women and contribute to the women’s movement overall?

AH: GWEM seeks to find diverse voices throughout different branches of Women’s Empowerment Agendas.  We seek to build a bridge between all feminists to fight for the same common goals, while also respecting other people’s perspectives and views.  Not only do we intend to feature women activists from all around the world, we shine light on initiatives that are intended to build a more inclusive, sustainable and equitable society (includes all gender identities).

KS: What is the link to your magazine and what are your social medias?

AH: GWEM Magazine’s website: www.gwemag.com

Twitter: @MagazineGWEM

Facebook: facebook.com/GWEMM

Instagram: @gwemofficial

LinkedIn: GWEM

QR code: 

GWEM QR code
Photo by Amanda Hart

GWEM Magazine has and continues to contribute exemplary work to the overall women’s movement.  GWEM pushes for women’s issues and the feminist movement in general to be at the forefront of journalism, which is something our current world is in dire need of.  You too can be a part of this change!  Contact Amanda or GWEM through the links and/or QR code above to learn more about GWEM and their wonderful initiatives.  I am so excited for their upcoming issue this July and cannot wait to see where their journey takes them!

Katie is the president and chapter correspondent of the Her Campus Buffalo chapter and a junior at the University at Buffalo studying psychology and political science. She loves to write about current events, politics, how to manage college life, and much more! She plans on using this platform to speak her mind and make a difference at UB.