Acne can be an embarrassing subject for a lot of people to talk about. We all know that simply washing your face doesn’t work for everyone because there are multiple types of acne that exist and effect a variety of people. Often times, people who suffer from really bad acne are insecure about it because of how acne is portrayed in the media. As someone who’s struggled with cystic and hormonal acne myself and as someone who works as a freelance makeup artist here’s 5 tips and tricks to help make your acne vanish.
1. Use a full coverage foundation. If the type of acne that you have is red but mostly flat breakouts buy a full coverage or a foundation that can be layered depending on the severity of redness that is present. For my ladies who like high end foundation HUDA beauty #FauxFilter Foundation, Kat Von D Lock-it Foundation, and Fenty Beauty Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation are really great options that have a matte finish and will last for a full day of sweating, talking, eating, and everyday life. For my drugstore queens Maybelline Fit Me! Matte + Poreless Foundation, Milani Conceal + Perfect 2-in-1 Foundation + Concealer, and L’Oreal Paris Infallible Pro-Matte Foundation are all really great options that I actually prefer to most high end products.
2. Learn to Spot Conceal. For those of you who don’t want to spend a lot of time or have very minimal breakouts putting one a full layer of foundation isn’t always required. All you have to do it take a concealer that is relatively close to that of your normal skin tone and gently pack and blend the color over your breakout. The beauty of spot concealing is that you can do it anywhere and in under 10 minutes. Once you’ve packed the color on, take a very thin powder to set the places you’ve concealed so that it lasts all day.
3. Faux Freckles. People who have more rounded breakouts that are hard to cover, taking a small lip pencil or eyeliner and drawing a small freckle or beauty mark will help conceal the breakout while also giving the illusion that what you’re wearing is natural. Take a small powder that is the same color as the liner that you’ve used to set the eyeliner or lip pencil you’ve used to create the faux freckle illusion to make sure that it lasts all day.
4. Color correct. Women sometimes are left with really intense scars or really dark marks from cystic acne or from breakouts that were picked. Color correcting using purple to brighten, green to cancel redness, red to cover up discoloration/dark marks, and yellow to highlight. However, if you’re going to color correct you’ll need to layer foundation over up all the color correcting or you’ll be looking like Krusty the Clown with random colors smeared all of your face and we all know that’s not a good look for anyone.
5. Start with a CLEAN base and prep your skin. Putting makeup on a clean face is vital to making sure that you’re not spreading bacteria around your face and clogging pores. If you were to put makeup on a dirty base, you’d be more likely to make your face breakout than not. Use a primer that is silicone based to fill pores, and you can even buy a mattifying product
I hope these tips help you all feel even more beautiful and confident than you already are. Much love ladies, ENJOY!