This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

As we make our way into these colder, darker months, it is important to keep our spirits high (especially with COVID around)!  My all time favorite season is fall, the weather is not too hot or too cold, but just right (for me at least).  I absolutely love seasonal fall foods and drinks, on top of the holidays associated with this season, fall is an all around feel-good season.  Every fall, I do a series of activities to get myself more into the fall/spooky season spirit, while also preparing myself for the depressing winter months.  The smallest changes to your living space can make the most significant differences in your attitude!  I hope my suggestions help you to spice up your fall and can somewhat guide you through the winter blues.

1. Make your favorite fall drinks and foods!

One of my favorite things about the fall season is all of the seasonal drinks and foods that come with it!  It makes the season all that more special and worth looking forward to.  A classic fall staple is the pumpkin spice latte.  Hey, I know it’s basic, but it literally tastes like a liquified pumpkin pie!  You just cannot beat it.  The beauty with this is that you can either pick up your own at Starbucks (they make the best PSL in my opinion), or if you’re feeling creative, you can make your own!  Personally, I have not tried this, but I think it would be a fun pastime activity to do with your family or friends.  Here is a top-rated Starbucks pumpkin spice latte recipe you can use.  As for fall foods, the options are endless!  Some of my favorites are pumpkin pie, apple crisp, pumpkin bread, and caramel apples.  Usually, every fall my family and I go apple picking, then use the apples we picked to make an apple crisp!  It’s very special for us because we use actual apples that we picked from an apple orchard, not some we just bought from a grocery store.  Although how you make these foods are completely up to you, enjoy!

2. Lighting a candle makes all the difference

There is nothing better than spicing up your cold room with a nice, fall-scented candle.  For me, candles help with relaxation and overall make me happier.  The nice glow candles give off in a dark space is also a plus.  Some of my favorite fall candles are the sugared birch candle from Target, the winter candle from Bath & Body Works, and the macintosh candle from Yankee Candle.  Another fall decoration you can put up are pumpkins and gourds!  If there is one near you, farms often offer a variety of pumpkins and gourds to choose from.  The fun part about gourds is that they come in all different shapes, sizes, and colors, so it is a very customizable decoration.  Not only will your room look and smell good, but the decorations will help you get into the fall spirit and make you overall happier!

3. Fall/Halloween movies to watch with your friends and family!

Around this time of the year is when I watch the classic fall/Halloween movies on repeat.  Watching these movies is so nostalgic for my sister and me because they bring us back to simpler times when we were children.  Sitting down for a nice movie night with snacks and your friends or family can get you more in the mood for spooky season while taking a trip down memory lane and truly enjoying the movie.  Here are my all time favorites: 

Halloweentown

Hocus Pocus

It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

Twitches

The Addams Family

The Haunted Mansion (2003)

I hope these suggestions help you in becoming more excited for fall/Halloween and can make you happier and prepared for the upcoming winter.  A reminder: It’s the little things that sometimes make us the happiest.  I wish you all a safe and Happy Halloween!

Katie is the president and chapter correspondent of the Her Campus Buffalo chapter and a junior at the University at Buffalo studying psychology and political science. She loves to write about current events, politics, how to manage college life, and much more! She plans on using this platform to speak her mind and make a difference at UB.