jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to feel on top of yourself (even when you’re not)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

I am a big believer in fake it ‘till you make it. If you look put together, you will start to feel put together, and eventually, you will actually be put together. Here are some things I do that help me feel like I am on my A game, no matter how little sleep I got the night before. 

1. Take care of your nails

Unfortunately it’s not always possible to coordinate cute outfits for everyday of the week, or put on a full face of makeup before your 8am. However, I find that taking care of your nails creates the illusion that you have it together. You don’t even need to paint them if you don’t have the energy or time, but a little cuticle care goes a long way in terms of how you might feel about your own togetherness. 

2. Bring a water bottle

I’m definitely not the first person to tell you that hydration is of utmost importance when it comes to literally anything. It helps flush out your system, lubricates your joints, and best of all, it promotes skin health and prevents premature wrinkling. There’s basically nothing in your body that doesn’t appreciate some water. And, to top it all off, nothing makes you look like you have your shit together like carrying around a cute water bottle.

3. Layers are your best friend 

If you struggle to assemble an outfit in the morning that isn’t leggings and a sweatshirt or jeans and a t-shirt, the best way to liven up your style is with layers. They help create the illusion that you have enough time to plan outfits. Simple pieces that are good to have could include scarves and light sweaters. They tie together your outfit in an easy way. 

4. Dry Shampoo 

When nobody else is there for you, dry shampoo is. Your last shower might’ve been a day or two ago (shhhh) but your hair won’t give away your secrets. Additionally, it can be used as a styling product in a pinch. Styling hair is often a time consuming thing left to those of us who fall on the more put together side, but in order to emulate a thought out do, just add some dry shampoo as a texturizer and a clip of sorts and you’re good to go. It doesn’t require that much to look like you put some thought into it. 

5. Use a planner 

Using a planner is THE best way to look like you’re on your grind. Nobody means business like a girl with a well organized planner. This habit will carry you far in life. It will help you stay on top of deadlines and make appointments on time. And if you think back to the cute water bottle, the rule carries over to cute stationary as well. If you whip out a planner while planning your next brunch with a friend, you will look one hundred times more responsible. 

Ali is the social media manager for the Buffalo chapter of Her Campus. She is a Political Science major with an affinity for crooked media podcasts and bad movies. She hopes she will one day learn how to take care of plants.
Nancy Acosta

Buffalo '20

Nancy is currently a Junior here at the University at Buffalo and is Campus Correspondent for the UBHC Chapter. She is majoring in Communications with a dual minor in International Trade/Geography and Political Science.