This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are infections that occur when bacteria enters the urinary system. They’re extremely common, 1 in 5 women have had a UTI before. UTIs generally get better within 10 to 14 days and they’re nothing to be worried (or ashamed!) about. However, it’s important that you treat it correctly. To relieve the pain, there are several steps you can take get better fast and ease the pain.

• Antibiotics

While some UTIs go away on their own, it’s best to consider going to the doctors for antibiotics. The doctor will ask you questions about your health and run a quick urine test. Once you begin taking antibiotics, you can expect relief within 24 to 36 hours.

• Stay hydrated

It’s important to drink a ton of water. It’ll flush out the bacteria that’s causing the infection. It’s a common belief that cranberry juice may alleviate UTIs but the evidence is mixed. Especially if the cranberry juice contains more sugar than fruit, it most likely won’t work. Also, be sure to avoid caffeinated and alcoholic beverages!

• Increase Vitamin C intake

Vitamin C increases the acidity of urine which kills off the bacteria that’s causing the infection. This can easily be done by eating more fruits and veggies! You can also take a vitamin C supplement.

• Preventing a UTI

To lower your risk for future UTIs, practice good sexual hygiene. Urinating both before and after sex can reduce your risk for UTIs by preventing the spread of bacteria. Also, never hold urine for too long as this can lead up to a buildup of bacteria. Drinking enough water and eating fruits/vegetable is another easy way to lower your risk. 

More resources:

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/health-and-wellness/urinary-trac…

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/urinary-tract-infection/s…

Ann Malcolm

Buffalo '22

Hello, my name is Ann! I'm currently a sophomore at the University at Buffalo, majoring in social sciences. Some of my favorite things include my best friends, coffee, music and exploring new places.