This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Hangovers are one thing, but hangxiety is a whole new beast.  Hangxiety is when one experiences extreme anxiety after a night of drinking.  Symptoms may include:

• Nervousness
  • Irritability
  • Feeling on edge
  • A sense of impending doom
  • Feeling panicked
  • Tachycardia
  • Hyperventilation
  • Sweating
  • Trembling
  • Fatigue
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Trouble sleeping
  • Gastrointestinal problems

So why does hangxiety happen exactly?  After a night of drinking, your body is trying to recover and is going through a withdrawal of alcohol in your system.  Hangxiety will be at its peak when your blood alcohol content (BAC) comes back down to around zero.  Alcohol disrupts neurotransmitters in your brain such as dopamine, serotonin, and endorphins.  As alcohol leaves your system and these neurotransmitters are no longer being disrupted, the anxiety and depression starts.  Your nervous system trying to recalibrate after the consumption of alcohol causes what we now know as hangxiety.

What is the prevalence of hangxiety and who are the most susceptible?  22.6% of people report having hangxiety, and that is just based on reports.  There may be people who have not reported it or feel as if it is normal and are unaware they experience it.  People who are shy, introverts, and/or have social anxiety are more susceptible to having hangxiety.  Since alcohol is a drug which releases social inhibitions, people with these personality traits are likely to drink more than someone without these traits, leading to an increased chance of experiencing hangxiety the day after drinking.

If you’re looking for ways to manage your hangxiety, I got you!

Hydration

Drink lots of water to rehydrate your body.  Make sure you are consistently drinking water throughout the day, and even the days after, as hangxiety can last as long as a week after drinking.  Electrolyte drinks such as Gatorade are also recommended (my go-to post going-out drink in the morning).  I have also heard that kombucha helps with hangovers.  Kombucha contains antioxidants that can aid with the detoxification process.

Sleep

Without enough hours of sleep, our bodies and minds become extremely tired.  This will significantly worsen your hangover.  Whether it be napping at certain intervals throughout the day or getting a full eight hours of sleep, make sure you are replenishing your recovering body with sleep.

Take a Shower

After a night of drinking, showering never fails to make me feel a lot better.  It makes me feel more awake and more clean.  I view showers as almost resetting your body, which you will most definitely need while hungover and experiencing hangxiety.

Self-Care Activities

Take some time for yourself!  Put on a face mask, make some tea, whatever you do to decompress, do it.  This will help to take your mind off of the anxiety you are experiencing.  Keeping yourself busy with activities you enjoy will help distract you from the impending doom you may be feeling.

I hope this article made you feel less alone in your experiences with hangxiety and gave you insight on how to cope!  If your hangxiety is truly unbearable, it may be a sign to take a break from drinking-at least until you feel mentally and physically up for it again.  If you know you experience extreme hangxiety but you still have the desire to go out, limit your alcohol intake.  Don’t drink to an amount that will send you over the edge.  Also make sure to stay hydrated with water while drinking, this will help with your hangover and your hangxiety.  Stay healthy and stay safe everybody!

Katie is the president and chapter correspondent of the Her Campus Buffalo chapter and a junior at the University at Buffalo studying psychology and political science. She loves to write about current events, politics, how to manage college life, and much more! She plans on using this platform to speak her mind and make a difference at UB.